Upgrading Mac Pro (2006)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sOwL, Oct 13, 2008.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

hello, so i want to upgrade my mac pro (its the previous model, 2006). I want to buy an SSD hard drive, but i wouldnt buy any disk less than 1TB. So, im not rly sure about how compatible the models are with my mac pro, in fact i only know its serial-ata. Any suggestions? Also, it has DDR2 FB-DIMM 667MHz memory. Can i use a higher bus speed ram? The layout is something like 4x512, which i got it to 8x512 because a friend had his mac pro (same model) asleep for 2 months. Now he got those back so here i am asking: Is "DDR2 FB-DIMM 667MHz" what i need to know to buy compatible ram? Is 667MHz the highest i can get? What could be the layout? Can i use 4x512 & 2x1gb? If you could answer to all those questions i would rly love you :)

2. bocomo macrumors 6502

can't really help you with the hard drive part (although i'm not sure you can get a 1TB SSD drive)

for the RAM:

higher bus speed won't help with your mac pro-use DDR2 FB-DIMM 667MHz like you said

you can certainly use different sized PAIRS (again, like you said)-you should put the larger pair in the first position on the risers as well (makes a small difference in speed, but a difference indeed)

3. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

You'll have to wait about a decade to see any SS drives that big on the market.

4. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

actually seagate is releasing a 2TB model next year...

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I think you've got your facts mixed up. Seagate will release their first SSD drives in 2009. They also plan to release 2TB mechanical drives in 2009.

256GB SSD drives are projected for this year, but they won't be cheap. If you want storage space then get a SATA drive.

6. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

ok fine but i rly want a fast drive. I saw the raptors have 10.000rpm, but they sound fairly loud and they have max size 300gb. Any other options with more than 7200rpm? Also, is it wise to just hook up 3x300gb raptors in raid 0? i dont like to see them as 3 drives in the os

EDIT: wouldnt it be a good idea to get a small SSD just for putting OSX in there, and having a sata for my files?

7. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

Once the OS and applications are loaded, they live in the RAM. Putting them on a fast drive would only noticeably affect computer boot time and application launch time.

Having a really fast hard drive is a real advantage for working with large amounts of the same data; movie editing, photography, audio mixing, etc.

Umbongo was right though, they will enter SS drive buisness AND they will be releasing 2TB hard drives as well in 2009.

Until the cost comes waaaaaaay down, its a waste of money to use an SS drive in a desktop. RAM is a far better investment.

8. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Does a 1TB SSD Drive even exist if it did they would cost like 2 thousand dollars dude just go with 7200 RPM or a new mac pro.

9. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

HyperDrive is an option

Link: HyperDrive4 16GB
    p.s. You will need to purchase at least 63 of the above configuration to hit your target of 1TB though. And certainly that'll not be cheap.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

As others have said, SSD's aren't yet available in a 1TB capacity. Not to mention the price if it were. :eek: Stick with a SATA I/II mechanical HDD. Multiple options to choose from, and the price won't cause a coronary. :p
    Use the 667MHz FB-DIMM, as your machine won't operate memory at a higher clock. It just doesn't support anything else, so the 800MHz flavor would just be a waste of money.
    Hmm...63 of these things for over $150k USD, or a sizable down payment on a new house? :D :p

11. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

thnx for the replies, i guess ill just hook up 3 raptors if they are supported by my mac... i do hate how they sound though