Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freespeed

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
San Diego, CA
I was reading this blog on OWC and I was trying to do the same upgrade but on a more reasonable budget. I purchased the RocketRaid 2722 (new) on eBay for a hundred bucks. Only thing that I need now is the cable that connects Sata controller to the RocketRaid. Here is the cable that they referred to in the article. Is that basically a female miniSAS to male miniSAS cable? I can't seem to find a cheaper version anywhere.

Also, if anyone is familiar with this would I even be able to do what the article suggest with the RocketRaid 2722? Or does anyone have a better suggestion for a setup?

I currently have (2) 256GB SSD (4) 1TB 7.2k HD's and (1) 3TB Hitachi main use is for Video Editing.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I'm confused, what are you trying to accomplish? The Rocketraid 2722 has two external mini sas connectors, what do you intend to do with those? Is your goal to setup a bootable RAID 0 or RAID 1 array with your two SSD's at 3G speeds? If you are just looking for a 3G SATA card to boot your SSD from without RAID, there are cheaper alternatives, I've got one in my Mac Pro 3,1

freespeed

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
San Diego, CA
I'm confused, what are you trying to accomplish? The Rocketraid 2722 has two external mini sas connectors, what do you intend to do with those? Is your goal to setup a bootable RAID 0 or RAID 1 array with your two SSD's at 3G speeds? If you are just looking for a 3G SATA card to boot your SSD from without RAID, there are cheaper alternatives, I've got one in my Mac Pro 3,1

I'm trying to use the RR 2722 as the SATA Controller for the four internal SATA bays inside the Mac Pro. Since the RR is SATA III compatible I would be getting SATA III speeds from my four internal hard drive bays. Essentially bypassing the Logic board and using the RR exclusively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.