Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Igcan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Upgrading Mac Pro 2009 to 2010. Issues

Start point

Mac Pro early 2009/ 4 cores Intel Xeon, 2.93 Ghz/ RAM 16 GB DDR3 1066/ Yosemite.

Now, I describe what I’ve done and I underline the anomalies that I haven’t been able to solve:

1. Firmware upgrading

I run “Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool”; I got error 5570.

I run the updated and patched “Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool” and I got a successfully upgrading: My computer data changed from Macpro4,1 to Macpro5,1/ Boot ROM: MP51.007F.B03

I run “MacProEFIUpdate 1.5.dmg” to update the 5.1 firmware but I got a warning (This software is not compatible with your system).

2. CPU upgrading

I took away the 4 core CPU and I install a 6-core Intel Xeon, 3.46 GHz. The system recognized it.

3. RAM Upgrading

I replace the four 4 GB modules (1066 MHz/s), with 8 GB modules (1333). The system recognized it but to 1066 MHz/s.

I reset PRAM and SMC, what was suposse to update de RAM speed, but the memory stays in 1066 MHz/s.

4. OS upgrading to Sierra

I tried three ways to get Sierra from an external hard disk connected to the Mac Pro:

- Direct installation from Apple Store. After the first reset, the computer came back to Yosemite giving up the installation.

- Installation through a bootable pendrive. Same result.

- Installation of Sierra, using a Mac Book Pro 2013, in an external hard disk (that I checked worked fine in the Mac Book).

Afterwards I connected this disk to Mac Pro. Mac Pro ignored the change (Preferences instruction), of bootable disk and charged Yosemite back

5. Install macOS Sierra as an unsupported Mac

A priori is a contradiction to apply a solution for unsupported Mac to an supported one. Let see.

In this procedure there is a step (called “macOS Post Install”), where we have to precise the computer model.

The trouble is that the option MacPro5.1 doesn’t exist, what is logic because theoretically this model is Sierra compatible.

But, on the other hand, It doesn’t seem a good idea to select the option Macpro4.1 because the computer is not this model already.

It seems that the solution must go by finding the way to install Sierra in the Mac Pro as a supported Mac.

Source of the problem?

SOLUTIONS?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
3) if you have 4 RAM sticks, try only install 3 (or even only 1). If that allow the RAM run at 1333, it basically means you get the wrong RAM.

4) how you connect the external HDD?

Igcan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
3) if you have 4 RAM sticks, try only install 3 (or even only 1). If that allow the RAM run at 1333, it basically means you get the wrong RAM.

4) how you connect the external HDD?

4) USB 3. It works with the Mac Book Pro

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
1. All is as it supposed to be.
2. Where's the issue?
3. RAM specs from sticker?
4. Retry direct installation from App Store.
5. Not needed as you're having a supported Mac right now.

Igcan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
That's the problem. USB 3.0 is not bootable on the cMP.
The USB 3 connection doesn't seem to be the problem because:
a) The Mac Pro works perfectly when I boot it from a USB 3 driver with Yosemite that is a clon of my main disk.
b) The Mac Book Pro works fine when I boot it from an USB 3 driver with Sierra.
[doublepost=1479033407][/doublepost]
1. All is as it supposed to be.
2. Where's the issue?
3. RAM specs from sticker?
4. Retry direct installation from App Store.
5. Not needed as you're having a supported Mac right now.

I've to say that my intention describing the process I've follow is to give the details for the forum people to be able to evaluate the situation. I comment your observations:

!. Here it could exist an anomaly: I run “MacProEFIUpdate 1.5.dmg” to update the 5.1 firmware but I got a warning (This software is not compatible with your system).

2. There is no issue. I don't say there is.

3. 8GB PC3-10600 CL9 240-Pin DIMM. KVR1333D3N9/8G

4. I have retry 3 times unsuccesfully.

5. The problem is just that the system doesn't recognise the Mac Pro as supported.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The USB 3 connection doesn't seem to be the problem because:
a) The Mac Pro works perfectly when I boot it from a USB 3 driver with Yosemite that is a clon of my main disk.
b) The Mac Book Pro works fine when I boot it from an USB 3 driver with Sierra.
[doublepost=1479033407][/doublepost]

I've to say that my intention describing the process I've follow is to give the details for the forum people to be able to evaluate the situation. I comment your observations:

!. Here it could exist an anomaly: I run “MacProEFIUpdate 1.5.dmg” to update the 5.1 firmware but I got a warning (This software is not compatible with your system).

2. There is no issue. I don't say there is.

3. 8GB PC3-10600 CL9 240-Pin DIMM. KVR1333D3N9/8G

4. I have retry 3 times unsuccesfully.

5. The problem is just that the system doesn't recognise the Mac Pro as supported.

Doesn't sounds right to me.

Do you mean that the HDD is USB 3.0, but you connect it to the USB 2.0 port? If yes, that's bootable.

There is no known bootable USB 3.0 connection on the cMP yet.

Igcan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Doesn't sounds right to me.

Do you mean that the HDD is USB 3.0, but you connect it to the USB 2.0 port? If yes, that's bootable.

There is no known bootable USB 3.0 connection on the cMP yet.

In my Mac Pro I have a PCIe card (Allegro Pro USB 3.0 PCIe from Sonnettech), with 4 USB Ports that works perfectly. It's there where I connect the USB 3 driver. Excuse me for not having explain it before. The Mac Book has USB 3 ports.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
In my Mac Pro I have a PCIe card (Allegro Pro USB 3.0 PCIe from Sonnettech), with 4 USB Ports that works perfectly. It's there where I connect the USB 3 driver. Excuse me for not having explain it before. The Mac Book has USB 3 ports.

The USB 3.0 card only works AFTER you boot to desktop. Therefore, all ports on it are NOT bootable.

You may try to plug the USB HDD into any of the native USB 2.0 port. Those are bootable.

The MacBook has native USB 3.0 port, that's another story.

Igcan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
The USB 3.0 card only works AFTER you boot to desktop. Therefore, all ports on it are NOT bootable.

You may try to plug the USB HDD into any of the native USB 2.0 port. Those are bootable.

The MacBook has native USB 3.0 port, that's another story.

I have done what you suggested and the result has been the successful charge of Sierra in my Mac Pro. So you are right and I thank you very much.

Have you any explanation over the success of the Yosemite charge in the Mac Pro using the same external driver conectted to the same USB 3 port that don't work with Sierra? Seemengly there is a contradiction.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have done what you suggested and the result has been the successful charge of Sierra in my Mac Pro. So you are right and I thank you very much.

Have you any explanation over the success of the Yosemite charge in the Mac Pro using the same external driver conectted to the same USB 3 port that don't work with Sierra? Seemengly there is a contradiction.

I bet you wasn't actually boot from the external USB 3.0 HDD when installing Yosemite, but just confused by the system.

Igcan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
I bet you wasn't actually boot from the external USB 3.0 HDD when installing Yosemite, but just confused by the system.

I suppose you're right. Thank you again.

I take advantage of your knowledge to ask you a question: If I use a SSD drive connected by PCIe will it be bootable?

Igcan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Yes, I am not sure if any adaptor can do the job, but plenty of known working choice out there.

I know now, thank to you, that all the problems I suffered had the same cause: I use ports that were not bootable in the Mac Pro.

When I tried to save Sierra in an external disk (port USB 3 inappropiate) or when I tried to charge it with a bootable pendrive (port USB 3 inappropiate) I made the same mistare.

Now I have installed Sierra on an internal disk, from the bootable pendrive connected to the native port USB 2, and everything has turn out right.

My best regards to you with my sincere gratefulness

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.