Upgrading Mac Pro RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by R.Youden, Mar 5, 2008.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I am looking to upgrade the RAM in my Mac Pro (Quad 2.66GHz) but the prices (even Crucial) are a bit out my league at the moment. However I was doing some surfing tonight and found these:

Link

Would these be suitable, the price looks pretty good and it would give my Mac a much needed boost.

Thanks.

2. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

I don't think so. I'd go with OWC. Skimping on Mac Pro RAM could cost you in the long run. FWIW.

3. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

True, however I don't think we get OWC in the UK. From Crucial 4GB RAM is over $320 which I think is a bit overpriced.

Do the Mac Pro specific modules come with special heat sinks?

4. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Yes, the secret to Mac Pro's "special" RAM is in the heat sinks. There is information on apple's website about the kinds of RAM that are approved for the MP. If you go with the wrong RAM, you will void your warranty and AppleCare support.

5. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

A lot of people in the UK import OWC RAM from the US it works out at about £300 for 8GB (so I guess about £150ish for 4GB) after paying VAT/import plus admin charges so it is less than half the price of Crucial.

I'm waiting for Crucial to reduce their prices or another UK supplier to come on stream. Doing a Google yesterday I came across some apparantly cheap RAM for the MacPro from PCWorld Business but there is no picture and I know nothing about it - see the following thread that I started in the hopes that someone else has some experience to share:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=448334

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd highly highly recommend transintl, I've bought 16 gb of ram from them and they look exactly the same as the apple ram and heatsink. I've had them in my 2.8ghz mac pro 8 core model for 2 months now and runs very efficiently and cool and never gave me a ecc error and I have run memtest86 everything checks out A-ok!

Also their delivery time is awesome I ordered it and I received them the very next day!

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Those are not even FB-DIMMS: they won't fit in the slots! FB-DIMMS use a serial protocol: those are parallel!

OWC will happily ship to the UK. Expect to pay £30 or so for import duties...

8. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Wow, they do look cheap! Same price in $ as £. OK after shipping and tax it will be a bit more, but still bloody cheap!

Thanks for that.

9. mac2beach macrumors newbie

10. 41qser macrumors regular

www.macramdirect.com

they sell on eBay as well.

$359 for 8gigs, delivered w/in one day.

highly recommended.