upgrading Macbook 1,1 to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sleepykidd, Apr 23, 2011.

1. sleepykidd macrumors newbie

I'm having a major headache here guys. I'm trying to upgrade a Macbook 1,1 from Tiger to Snow Leopard. I just upgraded the ram so I have all the requirements for SL except for a dvd drive. the Macbook 1,1's super drive is bent or something, it's very difficult to actually get discs in or out of the drive and once they are in they don't even read.

I tried remote install os x, but it didn't show up on the 1,1's boot menu. I'm guessing this utility is only somehow for Macbook airs?

So I tired restoring the SL install DVD I got with my other Macbook (6,1) to a flash drive and it booted, but once I got past the language select I got a message saying that Snow Leopard could not be installed. I don't understand why, my 1,1 has 2 gigs ram, enough hard drive space and an Intel Core Duo.

Why can't I upgrade?

2. Ommid macrumors 6502

3. sleepykidd thread starter macrumors newbie

It could be as simple as that? There isn't anything that stands out as a concrete reason why it wouldn't work?

Should I try upgrading to leopard first and then Snow Leopard? I don't have the "upgrade disc" I have the full install one that came with my other Mac.

4. simsaladimbamba

Get the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD. It will work. The DVD you have is model specific and will not work with other Mac models.

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

You can't use a disk that came with another mac. You need to use a full retail version. Also you will need to do a clean install, you can't do an upgrade install coming from Tiger.

6. sleepykidd thread starter macrumors newbie

Will I be able to put the retail version on a flash drive? Because my dvd drive is pretty much busted.

Would it be possible just to clone my Macbook 6,1 HDD and restore it to the HDD on the 1,1?

7. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Yes, I did the same for my flatmate's 1st gen MacBook whose drive is also bust.

I'm not sure if this can be done without any problems.

8. sleepykidd thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so here is plan B in effect:

Got the retail disc on the way, going to erase my flash drive and put the retail image on that drive. Once I boot from it I'll erase the 1,1's HDD and do a clean install.

Hopefully that works.

I want to thank everyone for their input so far it's been very helpful.

9. Ommid macrumors 6502

It also used to be easy enough to modify the machine CD to trick it into thinking its a retail disk?

10. sleepykidd thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so it ended up working, (using the retail version via flashdrive) Thanks everyone for pointing out that over sight.

11. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes you can.