Upgrading Macbook (2.16Ghz) to 4GB of ram

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stee1rz, Dec 26, 2008.

1. stee1rz macrumors newbie

I purchased 4GB of RAM from OWC (Item: OWC5300DDR2S2GB- 667HMz 200 Pin) to upgrade my Macbook (2.16Ghz)

When i upgraded the RAM and tried to power on the laptop nothing came on the screen. It booted up but never actually ran.

I only upgraded 1 of the 2GB sticks and left my other 1GB stick in the computer and it boots up fine and the OS recongizes the 3GB os Ram.

Anyone know why it wouldn't recognize the 4GB's of RAM

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Macbooks were only able to recognize 4 GB's of RAM after they were upgraded to Santa Rosa.

Unfortunately, your macbook is pre-Santa Rose, so you are limited to ~3 GB RAM.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

It should still boot with the 2 x 2GB chips even though it uses only ~3GB. I've heard of this problem before in this forum or Apple Discussions. It may require a search for an answer or a replacement of that RAM.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I really should read more of the post before I respond...

To the OP: One of the 2GB sticks may be faulty. This would explain why it worked when you removed one of them, and replaced it with your 1GB stick.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Seems like what I read was that each of the 2GB sticks worked with one of the 1GB sticks but not together. It was really weird. I also remember or I'm pretty sure that it was OWC brand.

Anyway, a lot of Core 2 Duo owners have a 4GB kit and it should work. Me...I'm stuck with 2GB max in my First Gen dinosaur but it works great and I wouldn't trade it for all the Solid Aluminum in China.

6. imacmatt09 macrumors newbie

My macbook 2.16 Ghz core 2 duo recognizes 4 GB of RAM. I though it could do that?

Attached Files:

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Core 2 Duo can, yes. Core Duo however will only recognize around 3.3GB of RAM. To the OP, have you swapped the 2GB stick with the other one? It could just be that stick that's faulty and this would detect if it is. Also, what model do you have? C2D or just CD?

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Check the Activity Manager and add up the ram. The About Mac will report how much you have installed, not how much it is being utilized.

9. yayaba macrumors 6502

Yep, I have 4GB of RAM on my pre-SR Macbook and the About OSX says 4gb but the Activity Monitor only shows about 3.2-3.3gb in use.

10. RoscoeUA macrumors member

RoscoeUA

The Pre-Santa Rosa MacBook will display that you have 4GB of RAM but the hardware limitations only allow it to access 3.3 GB of that 4.