Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
Okay, so right now I have a 60GB OS X partition and a 15GB Windows XP partition on my 80GB internal HDD for my C2D Macbook. I want to upgrade to a 160GB internal HDD.

First order of business:
How can I transfer files from my current drive to the new one without buying a SATAII 2.5" external enclosure?

If I need to get an external enclosure, where's the cheapest place to get a FW or FW+USB2.0 enclosure to do this? They seem too pricey to me...

Secondly:
What's the best way to share media and files between a new OS X partition and a Vista partition?

I want about 30GB for music, 35GB for photography, and 25GB for video. This is about a 90GB media partition, that will contain these + documents of negligible size (notes, homework, etc.). Is there anything besides 1:1 DVD rips that would ever practically exceed the FAT32 4GB file limit?

If this sounds good, I plan to use Apple's OS Install CD to partition the disk into a ~58GB (HFS+) partition and a ~92GB FAT32 partition for media.

Then I would use Apple's Bootcamp to divide the HFS+ partition into a a ~22GB partition for Vista and a ~35GB partition for OS X + apps.

Is ~30-~35GB big enough for OS X and a full complement of apps? What could use up that space (that I'm not thinking of) besides all the media that would be on the FAT32 partition?

Furthermore, is there anything "bad" about such a large FAT32 partition? Or is there any downside to using FAT32 for media?

Sorry if I haven't been able to give a single, straightforward question. I'm just looking for some feedback on my concept here, wanting to make sure that I'm not going to do something stupid before I get into all this HDD-buying and partitioning and whatnot.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
the easiest way is really to get an external enclosure. Do you need the firewire? USB-only external enclosures are pretty cheap (I got a nice one for $25)

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
First order of business:
How can I transfer files from my current drive to the new one without buying a SATAII 2.5" external enclosure?

If I need to get an external enclosure, where's the cheapest place to get a FW or FW+USB2.0 enclosure to do this? They seem too pricey to me...

I used an external firewire drive to upgrade my macbook from a 60gb drive to a 120gb. I used SuperDuper to copy the drive to the external, installed the new drive, and used superduper to copy it back. It was so easy. Without an external drive, you're going to be hardpressed to find an easy solution.

I haven't tried, but I think you can boot from a USB drive with an Intel mac. Not totally sure. The cheapest externals I've seen are usually at bestbuy or staples or just some random place, just buy as small as you need.

Secondly:
What's the best way to share media and files between a new OS X partition and a Vista partition?

Is there anything besides 1:1 DVD rips that would ever practically exceed the FAT32 4GB file limit?

Is ~30-~35GB big enough for OS X and a full complement of apps? What could use up that space (that I'm not thinking of) besides all the media that would be on the FAT32 partition?

Furthermore, is there anything "bad" about such a large FAT32 partition? Or is there any downside to using FAT32 for media?

I don't use bootcamp so I can't really answer.

I don't foresee anything exceeding 4gb for a file, only DVD's and Virtual Machines.

I don't store data on my system drive and it's at 40gb, with all my apps. Could probably get it down to more like 35 if I wanted though.

FAT32 is not going to be as fast or stable as HFS or NTFS. I personally wouldn't do it, but ymmv.

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
FAT32 is not going to be as fast or stable as HFS or NTFS. I personally wouldn't do it, but ymmv.

Well, here's the thing - I want both OS X and Vista (might end up using XP, not a fan of Vista so far) to have full-speed (or close) native access to my documents and media. If I can have practical access to HFS+ from Vista, I would definitely go with that... is this possible?

I figured three partitions (OS X, Windows, and media+documents) would be the best solution while dual-booting Windows and OS X.

So, just to make sure, all I would have to do with an external enclosure would be:

-Remove current internal HDD and replace it with the new one
-Format the new internal (Media partition + OS X)
-Install OS X on the new internal drive
-use SuperDuper to clone the old drive (now in an enclosure) to the new internal
-Use bootcamp to partition and install Windows

Anyone know approximately how much space Vista itself takes up, btw? I fear it's something distressingly large...

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Well, here's the thing - I want both OS X and Vista (might end up using XP, not a fan of Vista so far) to have full-speed (or close) native access to my documents and media. If I can have practical access to HFS+ from Vista, I would definitely go with that... is this possible?

I figured three partitions (OS X, Windows, and media+documents) would be the best solution while dual-booting Windows and OS X.

So, just to make sure, all I would have to do with an external enclosure would be:

-Remove current internal HDD and replace it with the new one
-Format the new internal (Media partition + OS X)
-Install OS X on the new internal drive
-use SuperDuper to clone the old drive (now in an enclosure) to the new internal
-Use bootcamp to partition and install Windows

Anyone know approximately how much space Vista itself takes up, btw? I fear it's something distressingly large...

On my PC my Vista partition's space used is 12.3 Gigabytes. This includes Photoshop, Office 2007, Nero Ultimate 7 and a bunch of freeware installed. The Vista installation is Vista Ultimate x86 and I keep all of my data on a FAT32 partition. Both XP and Vista seem happy to work with the FAT32 partition.

As far as my opinion of Vista goes. Once I got everything streamlined, disabled all of the annoying security popups, Vista seems like a really pretty and slow version of XP. Just stick with XP the two really are not that different except Vista is much sloooowwweeerrr, harasses you with security questions, and if you game will break them.

Plus MS screwed up the start menu with their search bar. Yes I know there is a classic view but I prefer the XP style. I can know longer tap (Start button), U, S on my keyboard to put my computer to sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.