Upgrading MacBook-Alu Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Neobond, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Neobond macrumors regular

I have the new MacBook 2.0Ghz, and decided to upgrade the memory and hard drive myself instead of doing it through apple. I went this route because I can pay the same prices as apple charges (maybe even a little less) but I get the extra components that are already in the laptop as backups.

My question is this:

I have my system setup just how I like it. I dual boot WinVista and OSX with BootCamp, and the only thing I would like to change is going from a 160GB 5400rpm to a 320GB 7200rpm.

How do I clone my drive so that my programs, partitions, settings, etc. stay the same but I give each partition more space from the bigger capacity drive?

2. LED macrumors member

There are various ways to go about this, but I think the easiest would be to use SuperDuper! and WinClone. Both are free. SuperDuper! will clone your OSX partition, and WinClone will do the bootcamp partition.

The first thing you'll want to do is install WinClone on your existing drive and make an image of your Vista bootcamp partition. Save the image either on the OSX partition (if you have room) or offload it to an external drive. It is important that you enable a setting in WinClone that tells it your intent to restore onto a partition of a different size. Visit the WinClone web site for more info (http://twocanoes.com/winclone/).

You'll need an external enclosure to do the OSX clone. When you get your new drive, place it in the enclosure and format the drive using GUID. Then use SuperDuper! to clone the OSX partition to the new drive. Once cloned, you can swap drives and boot your mac from the new drive. Then run BootCamp Assisant to create a bootcamp partition of the desired size. When BCA has created the partition, cancel out of the Windows install process. At this point, run WinClone and restore your Vista image onto the newly created bootcamp partition.

If everything went well, you should be good to go.

3. Neobond thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply! I'll give it a shot when my new drive arrives.