Upgrading Macbook (Early 2008) with HHD or Hybrid?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shadybrady, Jul 22, 2011.

1. shadybrady macrumors newbie

Hey everyone - here's the 2 HHDs I'm looking at - I'm trying to find out if either are a good pick, or if I've missed others. I definitely need the 7200RPM and at least 1/2 GB, seems this can be done for under $100.

Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive
    or
    Western Digital Scorpio 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive

Would the hybrid be worth it? People are claming to boot in under 10 seconds after they've setup the flash memory to hold what it needs (Depending on what you do daily on your OS). It also has 32mg cache which I haven't seen a lot for laptop models.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

3. spartus4 macrumors newbie

Get Western Digital as long as it is a Black model. I have heard several reports and read several reviews that the Momentus XT has some issues with Macs. People are also reporting that Seagate will not help you if you are using it on a system that their diagnostic software doesn't run on. I go WD Black.

4. BasilFawlty, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

FWIW, I just upgraded teh 160GB drive in my 2009 unibody Macbook with the Momentus (500GB) and I love it! My boot times have been cut in half and it just seems like everything happens faster! Even without the 4GB SDD onboard, it's a decent drive (7200RPM and 32MB cache).

5. Rambaud macrumors newbie

I decided against the Momentus XT, mainly on capacity grounds.

I have ordered a 750Gb Scorpio Black (7200 rpm) instead. It should be arriving this week (hopefully).

6. knarzie macrumors regular

may I ask where you ordered it, because all places I've checked online (in the UK) now indicate 1-2 months delivery times, which seems strange.