upgrading macbook from late 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by davismif, Aug 12, 2011.

1. davismif macrumors newbie

I want to upgrade the ram and install a larger hard drive in my Macbook. I have an aluminum unibody Macbook from late 2008 with 2gb ram and a 160gb hard drive. I believe that this particular Macbook can only support up to 4gb of ram. Is that correct? Is there a max on the size of the hard drive? Can I install a 1tb hard drive or would something around 500gb work better for this computer? I apologize if this has been discussed before. I looked but couldn't the answers to my questions in other posts... Thanks in advance for any help.

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Officially you are correct, the '08 Aluminum MB can only support 4GB, however I have heard of people installing 6GB. Hard drive space is as much as can fit in a 2.5'' HD, so if you can find a 1TB HD of the correct size, then sure, it would work.

3. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

We put 6gb in our 2008 Unibody without any trouble, but as the other poster says, your mileage may vary. it should easily handle a 1tb drive. Restore from Time Machine to make your life easier. That is a hell of a good Macbook, we miss ours. Sold it.

4. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

sorry, but the late 08 aluminum macbook accepts 8gb of ram with a software firmware update