Upgrading MacBook hard drive, need help with partitions!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by someguy, Aug 20, 2011.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I pulled the 250GB hard drive out of a black 13" MacBook and cloned it to a new 500GB drive and installed the new drive.

The system boots, everything works as expected, however now I want to make the additional storage space available by expanding the OS X boot partition. Before I can do this, I think I have to move the Boot Camp partition to the end of the disk, then grow the OS X boot partition.

How can I do this? I tried with a GPartEd bootable disk and that just fails. Please help if anyone can. :confused:

2. someguy, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Okay, I've tried booting to a Leopard Install DVD and using Disk Utility, I've tried GPartEd and Paragon Partition Manager. Nothing is working.

Disk Utility was the only thing that even saw the free space, but I could not move the Boot Camp partition.

Does anyone know of a way? Any good Mac partition utilities I can use for this?

EDIT: I found this page and am trying some of the tools there, but I could really use some advice from anyone with experience in this area. :)

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Post a screenshot of what you see in disk utility, that will be very helpful in determining what exactly you are trying to do and what the issue is.

I'm pretty sure the problem that you are running into is that drives can only be expanded in one direction. So the only thing you are going to be able to do right now is expand the windows partition, not the OSX one. Really the only way around this is to delete the windows partition, (back it up with Winclone first) expand the OSX partition to where you want it, then recreate the windows partition.

A picture would help confirm this though

4. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thanks for the help.

I ended up not needing to keep the Boot Camp partition, so I just wiped it out and used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy everything over to the new disk. :D