Upgrading MacBook HD and warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by raungst, Mar 10, 2009.

1. raungst macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new hard drive for my new macbook. Am I voiding my warranty or anything equally horrible by doing the switch myself? I've read many howto guides and such on the forums, but never really thought about the warranty. I figure I'm ok, but wanted to ease my mind.

Thanks!

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

The HDD is considered a user serviceable part, so you have nothing to worry about. The only thing it will void is if there is an issue directly resultant from the HDD itself. Apple won't replace a faulty hard drive if you've installed it yourself, but if it's a logic board or something else it's still covered. If you have the warranty from the hard drive manufacturer, you're still covered in that sense.

3. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

yep he's right - Apple made the HDD & RAM accessible for a reason! Pop the old one out, put the new one in, and enjoy your new size

4. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

5. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Thus is not what I am being told. MacBook late 2008 unibody with upgraded HD sent in for hondge problem and held up when received stating I had third party hardware, the WD 500 and it would cost me 700 dollars to put original apple part in. I called, complained and they maintained their position. O am having it sent back and will put original back in and send it right back hoping they have not just completly voided my AppleCare warr. They really stuck it to me. Imagine paying 700 for a 200 HD!
    A lot of nerve!