Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamkesher234

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
hey guys,

I'm quite a newbie when it comes to computer hardware. I've got a white mabook that I bought about mid-last year and I desperately need more space as I am down to a few gigs. I intend to do the hard drive swap myself as it looks rather straightforward to do. Would just like to get confirmation before I purchase the HD that the below model is compatible for my macbook:

Western Digital Scorpio 2.5 inch 500GB SATA 5400RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive
http://www.elive.co.nz/western-digital-scorpio-500gb-drive-sy1477.php

I take it that in addition all I need is SuperDuper for the cloning of my macbook hardrive and an enclosure for the new hard drive during the cloning process?

Thanks in advance, Eugene

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
That drive will be fine. You can see if they have the model without the Shock protection, as the MB has that built in already (at least the newest ones, I think the whitebook may as well).

Not sure of SuperDuper, never used it.

adamkesher234

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
it's relatively cheap compared to other hard drives, mind you I am buying in NZ dollars

Magsec4

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
I upgraded my White MacBook (the one that came out just before the 'collectors' edition aluminum MacBooks) using that same hard drive, works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.