Upgrading Macbook Keyboard to Backlit

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Chrisrokc, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

I was looking at Fixits tear down of the Macbook and Macbook Pros. It looks like they are going to keep the keyboards in stock. It also looks like it is swapable. Good news for us with the 2.0ghz Macbooks.

2. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Hmmm…I wonder how much it would cost and if it nullifies the warranty.

3. badgerman macrumors 6502a

does itnot need an ambient light sensor to work? I don't think the 2.0 has one?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

can someone please research this for or a future discussion? im very disappointed the lower spec MacBook doesn't have a backlit keyboard and im very interested in this! :)

5. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

pretty sure you void your warranty by taking the whole mb apart

6. Chrisrokc thread starter macrumors regular

Im not sure what the deal is on that. Hopefully when a few of us get the macbooks we will be able to see if this is doable. Right now it looks close.

7. Chrisrokc thread starter macrumors regular

the sensor is in the 2.0 models so this will work. I bet if u carefully take apart the MacBook apple will have no clue u opened it

8. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Wrong, they have seals and once they are broken it is apparent that the macbook was tampered with. Xbox , Ps3 most electronics have this to verify no one has opened the insides of the product.

9. vestigo74 macrumors member

I bet they might catch on if the keyboard suddenly lights up when they're working on it for you, though.

10. Chrisrokc thread starter macrumors regular

have you taken apart a MacBook? I have and there are no seals, just small drops of blue loctite on the screws. There are. No seals like the xbox or ps3.