Upgrading MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 Ghz HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BRyken, Nov 28, 2008.

1. BRyken macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

First time posting on the forums, but have a been a long time reader. So hello all.

I'm looking for some advice on possibly upgrading my MacBook Pro's HD. I currently have the stock 5400 RPM 160GB harddrive, but I was thinking about upgrading to a Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB, 7200RPM harddrive but I have two questions.

1. Will I see any significant improvements in the speed and performance of my computer?

I do a lot of music editing/recording on my computer as well as watch movies and your day to day stuff. We I notice a speed boost at all from upgrading to 7200RPM?

2. If I choose to install the harddrive myself (which I'm currently studying to become a Computer Engineer so I look forward to this stuff) will it void my warranty with Apple?

I appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Perhaps maybe recommed a different harddrive but I've been thinking about that one for a while. Any better ones out there?

Thanks in advance to all your advice

Brad

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You won't notice much difference. Installing something yourself voids nothing. Breaking something yourself while you're installing it isn't covered.

3. BRyken thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate your input.

Brad

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you'll love the additional space. The performance gain is small, but it there. Just a few milliseconds here and there.

As with warranty, like Tallest Skil said, break it while installing isn't covered. Let's take this one step further and say if you break in the computer in general while using it, it's not covered.