Upgrading Macbook Pro 2006 hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MORZA, Nov 13, 2009.

1. MORZA macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a Macbook Pro 2006 2.16 Core Duo (MacBookPro1,1)

I am getting ready to upgrade my hard drive. Has anyone had any luck upgrading the 2006 MBP to a new hd like the Seagate Momentus 7200 RPM 500GB?

Any heat problems, vibrations, crashes?

2. Cliff3 macrumors 68000

Cliff3

I have a late-2006 C2D Macbook Pro. I upgraded the hard drive to a Seagate 7200.3 320GB drive using the instructions on ifixit.com. The instructions for your MBP are here (hard drive replacement). The drive produced a lot of heat so I eventually put the 5400rpm drive back in and that solved the problem. If I had to do it again, I would stick with a 5400rpm drive or go the SSD route.

3. The JTizzle macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

I upgraded my 1,1 models HDD like 5 times now. I am currently running the 320gb as well. It deff runs warmer when doing a lot of heavy lifting, but stays well with in the operating temps, not that that machine doesn't run warm as is from the CPU alone. I saw a major performance increase however when I went to the 7200 drive and have kept it in since my MBP stays on a Gtiffin Stand most of the time.

Also if you plan to tear into it I suggest you replace the 802.11g card in there with a N card while you have it open, very nice speed increase with Time Capsules and AEs. I also tossed a 8x DL drive in mine a year back and has really made it easy to keep the machine around until I get a new 17 incher after the turn of the new year when the next refresh comes out.

There are also some very nice video guides here: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/manual.php?id=2