Upgrading Macbook Pro (2010) hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vbman213, Nov 18, 2010.

1. vbman213 macrumors 6502

I have a few questions concerning hard drive upgrades on a Unibody Macbook Pro...

First off, I am very O.C.D when it comes to my electronics and I constantly worry about my stuff. Over the past month, I have been checking SMART status and benchmarking my hard drive at least once a day. I'm a little worried that my hard drive is dying... Yea, I'm crazy...

Regardless of the above, I would like some answers to a few questions...

First, how durable are the unibody lower case screws? Do they strip easily? If I purchase the correct size screw driver (phillips #00), what are my risks of damaging the screws, or possibly wearing them out prematurely?

Second, how difficult is it to realign the lower case and not cause a "wobble." I have read some people incorrectly screwing in the bottom case and basically bending the lower case, causing the machine to wobble on a flat surface.

After reading my manual, Apple clearly indicates that users are permitted to service the hard drive. I'm technologically savvy but my only worries are damaging my $2500 machine...

My current hard drive (Apple 7200 RPM Seagate) is probably not dying, but if I could get some definitive answers to these questions, it would greatly ease my worry.

I was even considering getting a the Momentous XT or an SSD.

Thanks

2. Jimi-Hendricks macrumors newbie

vbman........If you are that concerned about your expensive laptop, and the warrenty probably, ( I am too ), you should read the manual again, and think twice, before remowing the backpart of the comp. and swap the HD's urselves.

Just a well meaning advice.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. Very durable. No. Almost zero. I opened my MBPs thrice now and they still work and have working screws.

2. Not difficult, I never experienced this wobble effect.

4. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

If you're worried about it dying then just back-up daily ... and when/if it dies just send it to Apple