Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Hey There,

I have a early 2008 Macbook Pro with the Nvidia chip issue (baked the logic board twice already and still working).

I was thinking about upgrading the HDD from the 200 GB to something like the Seagate 750 XT with SDD or a WD Black 750 GB drive.

Only questions is, if I can expect the Macbook to work faster after the upgrade. It's been a little slow lately and often hanging when using a browser - my harddrive was quiet full in the last month, so I am not too sure if this is a HDD thing or something else.

Anyway Blackmagic Disk Speed Test says the write and read speed of my 200 GB HDD is about 50 MB/s. Is this perfect working condition or can I expect one of the two HDDs mentioned above to perform better in this regard!

thx"

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Only questions is, if I can expect the Macbook to work faster after the upgrade. It's been a little slow lately and often hanging when using a browser - my harddrive was quiet full in the last month, so I am not too sure if this is a HDD thing or something else.
It will certainly perform better overall with a SSD. You may also benefit from increasing RAM, if you haven't done so already.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
An SSD will make it faster. Do you have as much RAMin it as it will take? If not, upgrading the RAM may be helpful, as well. If I remember correctly the early 2008 MBP can take 6GB.

Ah, I see GGJ beat me. No surprise there !

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
SSD is a good idea, as others have noted, but a "better" HDD is probably a waste. Higher rpm hard disks consume a lot more battery power, but give only a slight speed up. Not worth it, in my opinion.

On a side note, my early 2008 mbp is finishing up its last TM backup before I pull it open and install a new SSD :)

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama
SSD is a good idea, as others have noted, but a "better" HDD is probably a waste. Higher rpm hard disks consume a lot more battery power, but give only a slight speed up. Not worth it, in my opinion.

This. Last year I changed the stock HDD for a 7200 one. It consumes a lot more power compared with the 5200 one.
I'm now waiting on the released of ML to install my new 830 SSD.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
I did some Benchmarks on my late 2008 MBP with a Crucial M4 64GB SSD. It is much faster than a spindle hdd or hybrid one such as the Seagate Momentus XT :). The SSD will allow you to boot and load your applications faster. It doesn't have to be very big, I would say 256GB as a maximum. I would store in it data that does not change frequently in order to increase its lifespan. You can replace your DVD with a bigger hdd such as the Momentus XT to store you personal data, and data that changes frequently...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.