Upgrading Macbook Pro early 2008 HDD to gain speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by docbot, Jul 17, 2012.

1. docbot macrumors newbie

Hey There,

I have a early 2008 Macbook Pro with the Nvidia chip issue (baked the logic board twice already and still working).

I was thinking about upgrading the HDD from the 200 GB to something like the Seagate 750 XT with SDD or a WD Black 750 GB drive.

Only questions is, if I can expect the Macbook to work faster after the upgrade. It's been a little slow lately and often hanging when using a browser - my harddrive was quiet full in the last month, so I am not too sure if this is a HDD thing or something else.

Anyway Blackmagic Disk Speed Test says the write and read speed of my 200 GB HDD is about 50 MB/s. Is this perfect working condition or can I expect one of the two HDDs mentioned above to perform better in this regard!

thx"

2. CortexRock macrumors 6502

I upgraded my MBP 2008 with an SSD, haven't looked back since. Prices are much less now than when I did it too, so you've got nothing to lose.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It will certainly perform better overall with a SSD. You may also benefit from increasing RAM, if you haven't done so already.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

An SSD will make it faster. Do you have as much RAMin it as it will take? If not, upgrading the RAM may be helpful, as well. If I remember correctly the early 2008 MBP can take 6GB.

Ah, I see GGJ beat me. No surprise there !

5. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

SSD is a good idea, as others have noted, but a "better" HDD is probably a waste. Higher rpm hard disks consume a lot more battery power, but give only a slight speed up. Not worth it, in my opinion.

On a side note, my early 2008 mbp is finishing up its last TM backup before I pull it open and install a new SSD :)

6. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

This. Last year I changed the stock HDD for a 7200 one. It consumes a lot more power compared with the 5200 one.
    I'm now waiting on the released of ML to install my new 830 SSD.

7. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

I did some Benchmarks on my late 2008 MBP with a Crucial M4 64GB SSD. It is much faster than a spindle hdd or hybrid one such as the Seagate Momentus XT :). The SSD will allow you to boot and load your applications faster. It doesn't have to be very big, I would say 256GB as a maximum. I would store in it data that does not change frequently in order to increase its lifespan. You can replace your DVD with a bigger hdd such as the Momentus XT to store you personal data, and data that changes frequently...