Upgrading MacBook Pro Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LucasG, Sep 7, 2010.

1. LucasG macrumors regular

LucasG

Hello,

I recently bought a 13" MBP with 250GB hard drive. I'm starting to run low... so I was wondering, how could I go about upgrading the hard drive to something bigger? I currently live in Costa Rica by the way.

Help is GREATLY appreciated!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

There are many resources on how to do this, including many threads on this forum, guides online, etc. All you really need to do is buy a hard drive, get the tools and an enclosure for the old drive to get the data from it, and make the swap. It's a pretty easy process.

3. LucasG thread starter macrumors regular

LucasG

I'm actually interested in knowing what hard drive brands/types should I specifically be looking at. Any hard drive is fine? What do current Macs use? Etc.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Any brand will work as long as it is a 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s drive. Personally, I like western digital, which is what I have in my computer now. Another drive that you may want to check out is the Seagate Momentus XT, which is a hybrid drive that will give SSD-like performance for commonly used items. However that is more expensive. Or if you are more interested in large storage capacities, you can get a drive up to 1TB. You can check out newegg.com to see what you like best.