upgrading macbook pro hardrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by utl768, Sep 9, 2009.

1. utl768 macrumors 6502

how much does it cost for the genius bar people to install a new hardrive in my soon to be new macbook pro

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Call and ask. Prices will vary due to availability. Calling and getting a quote is the best way to find out.

3. jaypel2520 macrumors newbie

Do It Yourself

Really. It is SO easy, I wouldn't waste the money to have someone else do it. You'll need to buy two screwdrivers if you don't already have them.

Good luck.

4. Ramonzuton macrumors newbie

you'd better do it yourself indeed...
    I've let those guys install a new HD in my MacBook Pro last monday... really needed it to be done then, and according to an earlier conversation (and misscommunication within that conversation) I thought they'd do it for free... which I found quite strange already but well, I asked it when I just bought the Snow Leopard box set but well, I thought maybe it was because of that...

after all cost me 45 euros

definitely gonna buy a Torx T6 screwdriver next time, too bad I needed it that badly at the time

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

honestly it's so easy then included how to do it in the manual that come with the computer.

don't waste your time and your money, if you can't figure it out you have no business owning a computer IMO

6. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

85% of the world shouldn't own a computer. :p

7. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

2nd. although i don't know how easy it would be on the unibody units. i have the prev gen MBP and replaced the 120GB drive it came with with a 320GB unit. took a few hours and it wasn't difficult at all.

8. pjazzy macrumors newbie

Few hours? I thought it would take a few minutes :eek:

9. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

10. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i ran into some problems rebooting from my time machine. the process of removing and reinstalling the hard drive was done in under an hour. i had never done anything like that before so i was very cautious.

11. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of replacing my HDD as well. The problem isn't replacing it, I'm pretty sure I can do it on my own but I'm worried about installing OSX and transferring the files. Can somebody describe the process of reinstalling the OSX and the migration of the files to the new HDD, are there any tips or tricks to quicker coppying of the files?

Thanks!

p.s. What do you say about this one? I figured since my current MBP has a Fujitsu HDD, I'd replace with a Fujitsu :p

LINK

I've got the 2.2 gHz MBP with 120 a GB HDD, I think 320 would be sufficient

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Its really simple, you just need to backup your current drive on Time Machine, install OS X, then when it asks you about migration, just select Time Machine, then go crack open a beer and let it do the work and you're done.

13. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

Sorry if this is naive, since I haven't done a Time Machine restore before... What is being restored: documents, applications, settings?

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

It actualy gives you all these options (there's like 4 or 5 options) for what you wanna restore. Apps, user data, settings,

15. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

In Canada it costs $40 to $60, depending on what model you have. Of course you must supply the new hard drive to install.

I recommend doing it yourself, I can do it myself in under 5 minutes if I have all the tools sitting beside me.

Here is what you need:

1. MICRO philips screwdriver (if it works on eye glasses screws it will probably fit on the Drive mount screw).

2. MICRO torx screwdriver for the mounting screws (there are 4 of them in your current drive, remove them and install em in the new drive). Needle nose pliers can also be used to remove and install the screws if you are careful.

Thats all that you need.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

My genius bar here said they don't do that. And I'm glad that I did it myself. It took like ten minutes and was free.

17. neosferatu macrumors newbie

ehehe
    i too took my time when doing something new...

we're not competing in a world class replacing harddrive tournament, are we?