Upgrading macbook pro... hdd

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ryans79, Sep 6, 2009.

1. ryans79 macrumors regular

Hey,
    I'm planning on upgrading my 160gb hdd to a more reasonable 500gigs,
    but am a bit confused with the SATA and SATA II listings... so a quick question;
    will this work or do you recommend something else:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002842SRY

Thanks!

2. hornshwangler macrumors newbie

That drive will probably work in your MBP but you could go to Other World Computing (OWC), find your specific model and compare the hdd offerings they have with those from Amazon. Additionally, OWC has some really good instruction videos on replacing hdds for the MBP. Worth a look.

good luck
    Dan

3. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

arent samsung hdds suppose to be a bit dodgy? arent WD / Seagate the most trustworthy?

Ive been using a 500gb blue Scorpian in my ps3 which is a year old- very good drive,

4. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys
    and thanks for the OWC link, never heard of them... wil check it out now.

Cheers!

5. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

6. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm, I had just added this to my basket:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST9500325AS/

when you replied above...
    Note that i have a 13" (to match something else thats 13" :D) not a 17" laptop.

7. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

That Seagate most certainly will work with your MBP. :)

I have that drive, and a 320GB WD Scorpio Blue in a Windows 7 netbook, and the Seagate murders the WD drive.

8. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Always preferred Seagate after a WD incident...
    thanks, i think i'll pick that one up

9. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Just a quick question, you wouldnt happen to be "connected" to any of those sites in some way, would you?
    Dont meant to be snide or anything, i just have a suspicious mind, and i dont really care if you would declare it before hand so I can judge how helpful/partial your comment is.

10. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

Well...it's either less expensive, or it's not less expensive...where would partiality come into play? In any case...if you're in the US, NewEgg.Com is the place to shop from:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148374

and no, I'm not connected with them in any way...they're just the best out there...

11. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

i work for potatopeelingnuns.com, not dabs.com, iyou sound way too paranoid! surely you can gauge whats up?

12. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

@Mr. Monsieur,
    Nope, am in Sweden, but I have heard of newegg, thanks!

Not paranoid, your comment sounded like a total plug for one or both of those sites, not that i mind as everyone has to make a living (and i have plugged sites in the past that i was affiliated with), but if you are affiliated with the sites in question its always better to declare it so that the person can make an informed decision... otherwise its more like you are marketing your wares than helping the OP.

13. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

yeh reading back, the WOW i got it cheaper here is a bit like spam email where its WOW Check out my new webcam/bluepills/youve won a jamican island..

think i was WOW at getting something £12 cheaper, wasnt expecting it!

14. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, I get excited to get a great deal too... and 12 quid is like 18USD, that IS a good deal, so sorry if i came off sounding nuts but i guess the WOW! kinda reminded me of the spam mails/postings that everyone gets.
    Cheers mate

15. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Newegg has some great prices sometimes, but their packaging is probably the worst in the industry. A very large number of their hard drive sales get returned or exchanged cause they are notorious for delivering hard drives DOA.

zipzoomfly.com is the way to go...trust me. No I don't work there either. :D