Upgrading Macbook Pro Ram+Harddrive help.!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lookingforacar, Oct 24, 2013.

1. lookingforacar macrumors newbie

hi

Just came across this site as Im thinking of getting the new Ipad but have a more pressing concern i would appreciate advise on!

I have a Macbook Pro 15" 2008/09 (black keys) and at the time got the basic model with 4gb RAM and 256 kb memory (i think!) however everything is running really slow and need to upgrade as my memory is almost full and it seems its quite expensive to do!!

I dont think i can do it myself and have been quoted £280 for the below:

1 terabyte memory and 8 gb RAM (the most i can have).

For about £280 is this is a good deal, i have a few quotes and all seem in the £240-280 range? I am based in London so dont know if anyone has any recommendations or are a technician themselves?

if i do this (uprade memory/ram)..will all my data/programmes somehow automatically transfer over to the hard disk so everything is the same, or will they have to do this manually?

thanks!!

2. lookingforacar thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi sorry does anyone have any points would be much appreciated!!

3. mrmors macrumors member

The parts will come in at about £100 based on what you are saying (About £50 for the drive, which you call memory, and then I'd say around £50 for the RAM, there or thereabouts).

So they're adding on £180 labour. I think that's steep. But I'm not sure what places charge for labour, possibly £95ph and 2hrs work?

Might be worth getting a quote from Apple too.

Just for information, I upgraded the drive in my 2008 classic macbook pro (silver keys), and it took me about 1/2hr. And I'm not a computer repair man, just someone that knows what a screwdriver looks like and can follow a guide.

4. nollimac macrumors regular

nollimac

You actually can do it yourself if you follow instructions here.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/...-A1226-and-A1260-Hard-Drive-Replacement/670/1

I know it's not exactly your model MacBook Pro; however, you can find yours too there. Luckily you have the four screws on the bottom to remove, then two screws that secure the hard drive

5. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Get an SSD instead of a regular harddrive. your computer will run much better in the long run. Also get a External Hard drive for your media.