Upgrading MacBook Pro with a lot of Logic Pro Projects and Plugins ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeuzzz, Aug 31, 2012.

1. zeuzzz macrumors newbie

I'm currently selling my Mac Book Pro in the UK as my current setup is not powerful enough to do all the music production I require, and it's occurred to me that a lot of my Logic Pro projects (that I will need for my university course) are going to be very hard to get working on a new MacBook. Often the VST instruments I have created are in obscure VST specific folders that might not translate to a new install and the general Logic project directories are spread out across different places on the Hard Drive.

Is there a way to back up the information I have on my hard drive in a specific way that's more upgrade friendly? Or am I just going to have to spend a lot of time making sure I back up every single small sample, instrument, and detail onto a secondary hard drive?

Thanks.

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If I'm understanding you correctly either a Time Machine or Carbon clone backup and restore should do the trick, it puts all the files back in the exact same place.

3. derbothaus, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper!. Migration Assistant etc. That's what they are there for. You'll have to check and make sure your current SW is compatible with your new OS tough. Chances are it may need upgrading and some will no doubt be paid for upgrades. Because of this I stay on the Mac for quite a while for my Audio needs.

Keep your software installers.

4. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

clone the drive to something, get your new computer, and use migration assistant. heck, if your old computer was running lion, you might be able to connect the drive and boot from it via USB or FW.

audio apps put stuff all over the place - application support folders, audio folders, S/L/E.. components..

i agree. its a mess.