Upgrading MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cwsm, Jun 10, 2009.

1. cwsm macrumors member

Is it possible for Apple to upgrade my 15" Unibody screen for the newer, 60% better screen? I've damaged the CD slot, and I will be replacing the bottom aluminum piece with the keyboard.

How likely is it that I run into another problem that was not my fault, and AppleCare gives me the modern equivalent of my 2.53/9600M GT 512MB, a brand new 2.8/9600M GT 512MB free of charge? Although I disagree that it's a big improvement, should I hold of my repair until my AppleCare runs out? My AppleCare does not cover my accident because it was my fault that I didn't take proper care of the notebook and I wanted to tell the truth.

2. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Because of different logic board models in the new MBPs, you will have to wait to see a detailed tear down from either iFixit or somewhere else to see if the LCD connectors match. My initial thoughts would be yes, but you should always check before ordering an expensive panel w/ restocking fee. IMO you should either deal with the current display or go all out and get one of those shiny 1920x1200 15"ers. *drool

3. cwsm thread starter macrumors member

How do I do that? Even the new 15" have a native resolution of 1440 by 900.

4. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

They do have the same resolution, but the LCDs are different and have different backlights (LED vs CCFL on your model). It would be pretty easy to fool someone, but I'm unsure about wether you can just "pop in" that logic board. You might want to do soem research about upgrading first before you buy the early 2008 2.2 or 2.4 GHz models, and consider wether you want to risk being taken in for fraud by selling it on eBay. I would go for craigslist.