Upgrading MacBook RAM Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Arnold624, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Arnold624 macrumors newbie

I recently bought two new 2 GB RAMs for my MacBook White (2007). I tried replacing the RAMs that are already in the MacBook (two 1 GBs) but it doesn't seem to work. I could not boot my computer. However, if I just replace one of them and leave the other, it works. I currently have 3 GBs of RAM.

So how do I get both of the RAMs to work in my MacBook?

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I believe on that model, the Motherboard is limited to 3GB max.

Brian

3. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Not true. The 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo was part of the Santa Rosa group which brought in 4GB RAM limits.

To the OP, one of your sticks may be faulty. So 2x1GB works? 2x2GB doesn't...1x1GB and 1x2GB work... try swapping the 2GB stick with the other and see if it works. If not then you have a faulty stick. If it does work then I don't know what to suggest....

4. Arnold624 thread starter macrumors newbie

The MacBook works with whichever 2 GB stick I use with the 1 GB one, so I don't know...

But thanks for the replies

5. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

are the new sticks identical?

Does it matter which slot you put them in?

Seems like strange behavior.

6. Arnold624 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, both sticks bought from the same guy, and same model too. And it doesn't matter which slot it is put into.

7. psxguru macrumors 6502a

I went through a similar process recently with Crucial for my black 2.4Ghz c2d Macbook. Went through several returns with them and none of 2Gb RAM sticks would work together (was upgrading from the factory 2*1Gb to 2*2Gb). A 2gb and 1Gb would work together but not 2*2Gb.

I gave up and got a refund in the end.