Upgrading Macbook (SSD or H-SSD)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zealousalien, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Zealousalien macrumors newbie

Hi!

My Macbook (mid 2009 model) is in need of a parts upgrade to tide it over for a bit. Budget is around $100 USD and I mainly use the laptop for heavy word processing.

The current specs is: 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2GB (two 1GB) 800MHz Pc2-6400 ram.

I feel like there are three viable options:
    1) Upgrade to 4GB DDR2 ram and Seagate Hybrid Drives 500GB (5400RPM HD + 8GB SSD) for a total of $137.

2) Upgrade to Crucial m500 120GB for $97.

3) Upgrade to Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM HD and 4GB ram for $117.
    ---
    Which in your opinion would net the biggest gain?

Lastly, I am currently running Snow Leopard and I am wondering if it would be better to update to Mavericks or would it warrant more lag?

Thank you for your time!

2. madmacfan macrumors 6502

I'd definitely recommend buying an SSD. You will see a significant speed boost from the initial booting up to opening up and using apps. If you can afford to upgrade the ram then do that too, but if not definitely consider the SSD. Ram can be upgraded later when you can afford it. One thing though. Your Hard drive slot is only Sata 2, so theres no need to buy the more expensive 6 gigabit sata 3 SSD. You'd be better off getting the cheaper 3 gigabit SSD.

3. wb123 macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity what defines heavy word processing as more resource intensive than simple word processing?

I would sooner spend the money on the SSD than the ram, going from 1-3.3Gb of ram for me was more or less unnoticeable, whereas the SSD made a huge difference.

4. Zealousalien thread starter macrumors newbie

@madmacfan, Thank you for the swift reply! I will keep an eye out for sata3.

@wb123, Hm, I am not sure if it is quantifiable as "heavy" but multiple Word instances concurrently opened along with other Word related software open :).

SSD it is for my upgrade!