Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrew upstairs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Downtown Los Angeles
I purchased a 2.4 GHz Unibody MacBook a few days ago. I'm now realizing that I need a MBP. I've read that the Apple Store takes returns within 14 days of purchase (plus 10% restocking fee?).

Has anyone else done this? How easy is the process? Will I be able to transfer programs in-store? I've installed quite a few programs, music and photos, plus I upgraded to Quicktime Pro. Will I have to start from scratch again?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything similar in the search.

Thanks in advance!

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I upgraded from a MacBook (but not unibody) to the new MacBook Pro and I started from scratch just to have a clean machine (I had so many useless things on my MacBook) but as your MacBook is new, I see no need for that. As far as I'm aware (I was trying to find a way to transfer my music/pics/movies between them) you can get a network cable (if that's what it's called :p) and connect the two. They also should be able to do it at the store, I mean I see no reason why they wouldn't if they transfer files from Windows PCs to Macs (or so says their commercial :p)

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Hi,

As others have stated, you will be getting a brand new machine. That being said, if you want to transfer all of the programs and settings you have currently configured, just make a time machine backup of your current computer onto an external hard drive. When you get your new machine, all you have to do is connect the external drive back and transfer your settings. Your new mac will then look a 100% like the macbook that you currently have.

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I purchased a 2.4 GHz Unibody MacBook a few days ago. I'm now realizing that I need a MBP. I've read that the Apple Store takes returns within 14 days of purchase (plus 10% restocking fee?).

Has anyone else done this? How easy is the process? Will I be able to transfer programs in-store? I've installed quite a few programs, music and photos, plus I upgraded to Quicktime Pro. Will I have to start from scratch again?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything similar in the search.

Thanks in advance!

Time machine would do the trick regarding the transition.

Make sure however that you need the MBP indeed, what i mean is that after restocking fee, and (tax? idk if they will give you the taxes back...) and the extra money it cost the MBP you might have to pay an extra $1000 while the difference in performance in my opinion is not $1000 worth (only 2" more inches and a slightly better graphic card). that $1000 in the other side could well be spent in adding a 30" display (not the apple one of course, that would set you back like $1500, but a nice dell with extra usb or LG or samsung, and you would still have money to add ram or even to upgrade to SSD.) Bottom line: Make sure you need indeed the extra graphic performance....

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Thanks for all of the advice, folks! Very helpful. I'm backing up with Time Machine as I type this (man, it's slow :().

Not sure your setup, but on the off chance you're doing your Time Machine backup wirelessly (as with a Time Capsule, for example), it will go MUCH faster wired.

Just another thing to keep in mind, in case you haven't already found out: Be sure to de-authorize the current machine in iTunes and for any software you've installed that requires activation via Internet. (Common examples: High-end Adobe products, FileMaker Pro 9.)

Apple store once replaced a logic board in one of my Macs (without warning me ahead of time) and even though the hard drive and all other components were the same as before, I had to re-authorize in iTunes and lost some software activations. Could not "de-authorize all" in iTunes because you can only do that once a year (I think) and, as a result, lost one of my five authorizations for a while. Also ended up on the phone with Adobe customer support trying to convince them I wasn't a software pirate.

Just a FYI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.