Upgrading MacBook to MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Oyobiia, May 23, 2009.

  1. Oyobiia macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2008
    #1
    I have a white MacBook brought in January this year.

    I am not using it as much as my iMac because its slow and I hate the 13" screen.
    I feel like upgrading it to a 15" MBP. However. I don't want to waste another £1,300 on a new Alu MBP.

    Is it worth looking on eBay for a older MBP or will I be disappointed.
     
  2. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

    Unprocessed1

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2008
    #2
    I'd recommend just buying a solid state drive, especially an Intel one. For $300, you'll see a gigantic speed increase. Can't do anything about the screen size though. I'd wait until after WWDC. If the MBP's are updated, the current 2.4 GHZ model should be at least $200-300 cheaper.

    Also, you'd be able to sell your macbook for at least 550 pounds, so you would have paid for half of the MPB, AT LEAST.
     
  3. Aboo macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    #3
    I second the wait till after WWDC. If there are spec bumps. the current systems will drop down in price. Alternatively, you should also check out the refurb apple store. In the US you can get a 2.4 MBP for 1700 USD = ~1100 pounds.

    Also, you should definetly consider selling your whitebook. Not sure how much they fetch, but I am willing to bet that they go for at least 600-750 USD if they are in excellent condition.
     
  4. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 6, 2009
    Location:
    Mexico
    #4
    Why do you hate 13"? because of the size or resolution?
    I actually don't see too much resolution difference between 13" MB and 15" MBP screens. I have two co-workers with one each (both Al unibody), they do not seem too different to me. And a third co-worker has a early 2008 MBP, to me its screen seem lower in quality, it als oshows, sometimes, a sort of "pixelation".
    As said by others, refurbished are cheaper. Anyway, the price difference is high.
    I agree about waiting WWDC. Or, at least, wait for June back to school promotions. However, keep in mind that if Apple is going to decrease some prices, automatically your used MB also will loose value.
    Thus, it would be ideally better to sell it right now, and buy later...
     
  5. Oyobiia thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2008
    #5
    So your suggesting to sell the MacBook now before it devalues (if it will)

    Then if the prices drop then upgrade?
     
  6. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

    Fizzoid

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #6
    You may not see prices drop, the newer kit will just be dearer, it's the Apple way :)
     
  7. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

    Unprocessed1

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2008
    #7
    If the get rid of the 2.4 MBP model, the prices should drop on amazon, mac mall, ebay, etc. That's why you should sell you old stuff, since it will lose value if there are upgrades.
     
  8. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 6, 2009
    Location:
    Mexico
    #8
    Yes, basically. In this way you'll loose less from the sell of your whitebook. Clearly, there is the the possibility that they won't upgrade the systems, or they won't decrease prices.
     

Share This Page