Upgrading Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ElDominio, Jun 16, 2009.

1. ElDominio macrumors newbie

Well, I'm kind of upset about my crappy GMA 950....

I was thinking, I have a Mid '07 MB, could I swap the Logic Board with a Late '07 one? I know will probably need new RAM, but would anything else be required? Can I at least use the LCD (so I an buy one with a broken one off eBay )

In another extreme, could I use one of the Early '09 Logic Boards with the nVidia chip (obviously the one from the White one, not the unibody...)?

BTW this is my first post, a copy paste from official Apple forums since they're too..... Mentally challenged.....

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

I do believe Apple changes the guts of the MacBooks with different revisions, so a logic board from one white MacBook will not fit in another unless it is the same model year. It would be a more common occurrence if it was possible.

Also, calling the members of the Apple forum mentally challenged is a bit extreme, don't you think? After all, like myself I am sure there are others on MacRumors that actively post in the Apple forums. Granted I don't know your experience there, but I'd suggest not alienating potential helpful posters by making such a statement.

3. ElDominio thread starter macrumors newbie

Thing is, they have been VERY UNhelpful, sometimes downright insulting me because of my race. Or just blow away my questions with a "buy a new [insert object here]" which is why some people dislike Mac users.

I like opening stuff up and trying to fix/improve it, but they usually just whiff past and say "buy a new one." I mean, I would if I could, but I can't, and they insist on it even though I repeat myself "No, I can't afford a new Macbook."

Anyhow, aren't the LCD panels the same on every one of the plastic ones?

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Oh wow, that's quite unfortunate. It seems you get people like that in every forum online. It's a shame that there are people like that to give the Mac community a bad reputation.

I wish I could be of more help, but seeing as I've never replaced a logic board, the best I can do is direct you to ifixit.com. They have replacement parts for almost every make and model of Mac products. The LCDs seem to be compatible with multiple models, but the logic boards seem to only work for specific models. But they do have step by step instructions on the installation of each, so you may be able to find out whether they would be compatible.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

What's not working for you that leads you to believe that the graphics are not working properly? I have a MB that's a year older with the same card and feel that it's an amazing machine.

6. ElDominio thread starter macrumors newbie

That I can't play Sims 3 lol.....
    It's working properly, but not up to my specs....

7. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Perhaps the system requirements may help: Sim 3 Requirements

8. ElDominio thread starter macrumors newbie

Not 950.....
    Anything??? Can I re-use the LCD? They keyboard? I can probably re-use the case (lol)

9. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Will your plan to upgrade accommodate the system requirements for Sim4 or Sim5?

In my opinion, someone who is an avid gamer should own a more upgradeable desktop machine or a dedicated gaming unit. Notebooks in general and specifically the MacBook in the Apple line are truly not meant to be gaming machines.

Just an opinion and I mean no disrespect nor do I feel mentally challenged for my comments even though I also monitor and post in the Apple Discussions. -GDF

10. ElDominio thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not an avid gamer, at least not on my Mac, since I'm pro-console, but Sims 3 looks awesome, and I wouldn't mind tearing apart my MB to play it.
    Still, can I do this?

The mentally retarded thing is my opinion on the Discussion boards, I did not intend to call you retarded, I just said it because I'm not going back there.

11. ahjjones Guest

It doesn't matter if you intended to call anyone mentally retarded or not. The fact is that it's rude and uncalled for. It's something you'd expect from a elementary student not a grown adult. In the future just try to use better verbiage.

12. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Well I know you want to save money, but even if this were possible, you're just moving from one obsolete chipset to an average chipset. I really think you'll be best off just saving your money for a few months and buying a new one. Or (heaven forbid) just buy a cheap pc...but that would be a LAST RESORT lol.

13. ElDominio thread starter macrumors newbie

14. ElDominio thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry I insulted you.
    I think the majority of people follow the rule set of "What you give is what you get."
    The official mac forums gave me trash, and that's what they get from me.

I know, but again, I don't really need anything advanced. I actually have a desktop (from 2004) that can run Sims 3, but I want to do it on my laptop, it's so much more handy.....
    I would be best off buying a new Mac, but, instead of recommending that, can you tell me if the upgrade is doable?