Upgrading Macpro internal HD to SSD, help me avoid authorization issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by musiklov3r, Jun 25, 2009.

1. musiklov3r macrumors newbie

I'd like to change my system drive on my mac pro to the Intel X25-m 160 gig I just purchased.

When I previously upgraded my laptop to SSD, I used carbon copy cloner to clone the internal drive onto the SSD.

Unfortunately, I had a couple of authorization issues, one of which being for CS3. Somehow cloning the internal drive onto the SSD and replacing the internal drive with the SSD tripped up the authorizations.

On my Mac Pro I have a few more programs I'm worried about having to reauthorize if the same thing happens. All programs are legal installs, so I could reauthorize, but it is a headache. Especially since some of the companies only allow a certain number of installations and having changed laptops and desktops since purchasing the apps means that some of these programs will require the lengthy process of emailing and explaining the situation to the manufacturer.

Given that I'm just trying to change the startup drive, how can I avoid these issues?

Thanks!

2. fcamilleri macrumors member

One question, why use an SSD on a Mac Pro? Do you need fast read/write speeds or something, it seems like a downgrade to me :confused:

3. markrowland macrumors newbie

When I upgraded my MacBook's HDD, I ran into some issues with enclosures so I ended up doing a complete clone of my old HD onto an external, booted from that, and once I was running off the external, I cloned the external on to my new internal and things worked fine. I have a legal install of CS3 and nothing happened with the new disk. I would think that things would be the same for Mac Pro/SSD.

4. musiklov3r thread starter macrumors newbie

It may sound bizarre, but I have Hyperacusis, a hearing condition that makes me hypersensitive to sound. Loud sounds are intolerable as well as many constant sounds. Hard drive sounds literally drive me crazy and SSD's are silent. I haven't used my Mac Pro in months as I can't handle the sound of the hard drives. Hopefully the fan noises will be quiet enough that I can't hear them as the Mac is in my closet behind acoustic blankets.

With regard to speed, I believe you might find the many postings detailing the speed improvements of SSD's to be helpful. In my experience the performance boost is amazing.

5. musiklov3r thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the post. I did the same thing with my Mac Pro. However, CS3 did require reauthorization. CS3 allows two installs and mine had been used by my Mac Pro and the original laptop internal. Is it possible that you had only installed CS3 once and therefore didn't experience the issue?

6. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

I did this recently with CS4, having already used up my second install on my laptop, and it did trip the authourisation. I sent Adobe a help call but still haven't had it fixed so I get the 30 day warning each time I run CS4 now :(

Not sure if CS3 is quite so aggressive though.

7. musiklov3r thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the post. Yes, CS3 is as aggressive. You can reboot with your old drive and deauthorize, then reboot with the new drive and authorize.

CS3 is easy to handle because I can deauthorize before I make the change, since I know in advance the program will have an issue. It's the slew of audio plugins that may or may not have the same issue I'm concerned about.

If anyone can help me avoid the headache of having to deal with this on multiple apps, I would greatly appreciate it.

8. musiklov3r thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

Tried using CCC to clone the drive. Now in the application Logic, some 3rd party plugins can't be found in the songs I've created. I can reload the plugins and most did not need to be reauthorized, but it is a huge pain to do this for every song I've created. Plus, if the settings of the plugin sound weren't saved to a patch, I have no way to recreate the sound. This is a huge headache that will take significant time to correct.

I used a block level copy in CCC and it executed without error. Did I miss something? Shouldn't it be possible to just clone the internal drive and have the OS think that nothing has changed?