Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bendee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2015
Hi all,
I've just installed the beta and "Mail Upgrade" has appeared on the desktop saying "Upgrading your mail database......This may take a few minutes"
It's been like this for an hour.
Is this regular?
The fans are also going crazy. I'm not sure if it's just sifting through a lot of mail.
I've installed on an IMac retina with maximum RAM and 3tb fusion drive.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
It shouldn't take that long. Try force quitting it and opening Mail again. If that doesn't help, reboot your system and try again.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Hi all,
I've just installed the beta and "Mail Upgrade" has appeared on the desktop saying "Upgrading your mail database......This may take a few minutes"

If you look in the Mail folder in your User's Library, you'll see a V3 folder. This is for the new El Capitan mail. You'll also notice that the folders now have names like this:
9BE2DCEA-42E2-4520-81B1-5FB4C43E652D/
58C52118-7830-4962-BF48-DD672B225083/

Only theMailData folder retains the old naming.

Old names in V2 used this naming:
AosIMAP-xxxx/
IMAP-xxxx/
EWS-xxx
Mailboxes

I suggest you remove all IMAP accounts and let them download again. For your local "On My Mac" folders you can import from the V2 folder if they don't upgrade correctly. You might need to remove the V3 folders for the IMAP accounts after removing the accounts. Removing the account does not necessarily remove the data.

Last edited:

bendee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2015
If you look in the Mail folder in your User's Library, you'll see a V3 folder. This is for the new El Capitan mail. You'll also notice that the folders now have names like this:
9BE2DCEA-42E2-4520-81B1-5FB4C43E652D/
58C52118-7830-4962-BF48-DD672B225083/

Only theMailData folder retains the old naming.

Old names in V2 used this naming:
AosIMAP-xxxx/
IMAP-xxxx/
EWS-xxx
Mailboxes

I suggest you remove all IMAP accounts and let them download again. For your local "On My Mac" folders you can import from the V2 folder if they don't upgrade correctly. You might need to remove the V3 folders for the IMAP accounts after removing the accounts. Removing the account does not necessarily remove the data.

Thanks for your reply!
It literally just opened and now seems to be importing some mail.....not all though!
I guess this is beta-land!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.