Upgrading MBA Hard Drive...BEST WAY TO BACKUP FILES AND DATA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jayeskreezy, Aug 7, 2014.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I just got a bigger SSD drive for my mid 2012 MBA and I wanted to backup my data (ios device syncs, documents, etc.) however, I don't need to save my program prefs or anything like that as I don't need those and want to do clean installs on my new HD. I don't necessarily need a HD clone as much as a data backup.

What's the best program to use for that? Also, would you recommend me updating to Mavericks before swapping hard drives OR do the upgrade once the new hard drive is installed? Thanks MR!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd look at making one change at a time. Introducing too much changes, means there's a lot more variables to account for if you run into issues.

I'd look to using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your drive to an external drive, install the new SSD, and then restore. Determine the success/failure and then move on to upgrading the OS.

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I'll second maflynn's recommendation. Create bootable clone on an external drive, install new drive, restore clone, confirm, proceed to next step.

4. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! This is helpful...and easier for me.:)

5. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I'm thinking about doing this too. I was just planning to install the new drive and restore off Time Machine - or is that not the preferred way to do it? I thought it would be simple.

6. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

From what i've seen on the transcend tutorials you clone your HD to the new one. Then install the new drive. It doesnt seem like you need the extra step of the time machine backup.

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

This is what I've done when upgrading spinning HDDs with SSDs. Clone to new drive, install new drive, boot from new drive, go.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can do it either way and the end result will be exactly the same.

You can install a new drive then option key boot to the TM disk and format the drive then restore. Or clone old drive to new using Disk Util or other tools. Exact same end result.