Upgrading MBP 13" hard drive to 7200rpm - Which one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pr0grammer, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Pr0grammer macrumors newbie

I'm looking at upgrading my stock MBP hard drive to the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB, Hitachi TravelStar 7200 500GB and a WD one if I can find one (Does WD make a 7200rpm 500GB drive? I couldn't find one on Google).

Has anyone had any experience with any of these? Out of all of them, which one do you think is the best? (The Seagate and Hitachi are both the same price on Amazon.)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

WD does not make a 500GB 7200rpm drive, Seagate and Hitachi are the only ones right now.

Via MRoogle you will find plenty of threads that discuss those issues you wanna know about.

Link is in my signature.

3. Pr0grammer thread starter macrumors newbie

4. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

When I was shopping back in June the 500GB WD Blue (5400rpm) was the faster then any of the 7200rpm drives, not sure what has come out in the time since but I do know they have a 640GB version now which should be even faster due to higher platter density.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I always trusted Seagate and Hitachi for hard drives. WD drives are of less quality. You won't be dissatisfied with the Momentus or TravelStar. Hitachi bought the Travel/DeskStar line of HDs from IBM, so quality shouldn't be an issue.

6. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

I just installed the hitachi 500gb travelstar 7200rpms in my unibody 13" and wife's white macbook.

We both lost 50% or even more battery life according to the ticker at the top.

Our previous drives were the Hitachi Travelstar's 7200rpm 320gb drives (4th gen technology from hitachi I believe). Yes this new 500gb one does many thing faster for us, but only 2:28 battery life with pages and safari open is embarassing.

Could easily strain cpu with same apps open for 6+ hours on the old 320gb drive. Just throwing this out there for anybody looking to upgrade to this drive in the 13". Possibly the battery just isn't as powerful as the 15 and 17" models and that can explain the huge drop in battery life.

7. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

i have a 7200 rpm seagate. I got it oem from newegg. It recently failed after only 8 months. So i'm in the process of RMAing it to segate. Just so you know they have terrible return policies at segate. Its enough to keep me from buying another seagate drive. I've also heard that seagate latest generation of 7200 rpm 2.5 in drives have some problems. I'm not sure how founded these rumors are but, they seem to be true in my case. I'd go with Hitachi or a WD drive if you can. WD seems to have the best return policy