Upgrading MBP 15 2.16Ghz Core Duo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marky, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Marky macrumors regular

Hi

I'm shortly going to be upgrading some bits of my MBP - namely the Hard Drive (100gb to a 320gb) and ram 1gb to 2gb.
    Local Apple approved guys doing it when I go on hols in the autumn.

Question - is it worth/possible to upgrade other parts at the same time such as the CPU?

My MBP is the early 2006, 15inch, 2.16Ghz Core Duo model.

I've also heard suggested that although this model is meant to max out at 2gb of ram that it will infact work and use 3gbs - true or falsehood?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Mark

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Yeah it will work with 3GB if you put it in. As for upgrading the CPU, probably not worth it. It would cost too much and the performance increase would be minimal at best. The only mobo you could upgrade to is the one with the 2.33GHz T7600 and 256MB X1600. It would probably cost you a few hundred, no? Not worth it.

3. pnyc macrumors 6502

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

That board has a FW800 port that his does not. He has no logic board upgrade path nor would it really be worthwhile to do if he could in the first place.

5. Marky thread starter macrumors regular

Think your right that trying to upgrade the cpu isn't worth it, I'll stick to just doing the hard drive but will increase the ram to 3 gb instead of the 'official' 2gb.

Thanks guys.