Upgrading MBP 17" in Houston

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by richardegil, May 1, 2009.

1. richardegil macrumors newbie

I am looking to upgrade my MBP 17" with a new larger hard drive but I am wondering if anyone knows of certified Apple Retailer that will do it for me. I don't want to void the warranty, I have a few months left on it.

Any suggestions?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. richardegil thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed there are, but the one in the Galleria told me they would not upgrade the hard drive, only RAM :(

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

What model 17" do you have? Is the 3 year applecare about to expire, or just the initial one year warranty? (If it's the one year, buy extended applecare for pete's sake!)

Look at ifixit.com for instructions on how to swap the drive yourself. Get an eggcrate for the screws, take your time and do it yourself once the warranty's out on it. Get a sata cable and clone the old drive to the new one with carbon copy cloner, free download online.

5. richardegil thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Care expires in November, I am just in need of more space now. Looks like it might be worth waiting. However if anyone does have suggestions of an Apple Certified retailer that will do it please let me know.

Thanks!

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Upgrading the hard drive DOES NOT void the warranty

its so easy to do, even a trained monkey could do it, Apple even gives intructions in the manual, it literally involves taking out 4 screws and and thats it.

www.ifixit.com could help you if you need more assistance