Upgrading MBP 2.2 to Leopard/Cloning Etc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThirteenXIII, Aug 21, 2008.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Im wondering if anyone has used this drive before?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136076

What i wanted to do is use it and put 3 partitions on it perhaps.
    I have a MBP 2.2Ghz w/ a 120GB HDD from Sept 2007 running 10.4.10 and i wanted to clone the 10.4.10 of it and then upgrade to leopard then clone that and then have a 3rd partition for Time Machine.

120GB - 10.4.10-Clone
    120GB-10.5.4-clone
    132GB - Time Machine.

(btw the drive itself contains usually 60-80GBs of data and i usually put those on a bigger storage set up, but for an all-in-one back up; 2clones & time machine...im looking at a single drive)

will this be an Okay method to do it, the drive is cost effective for what i want to do. but im wondering if have 2 clones & a time machine all on the same drive?

thanks!

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

You do know that that is a barebones internal drive. You'll need an enclosure to use it. Once you've got that figured out, clone your existing drive to a partition on the new drive, install leopard with erase and install, and then use migration asst. or just manually move your files back. Then clone your new leopard environment to another partition on the ext drive.

As long as you are buying WD (and have to buy an enclosure), might as well get an external drive. 500GB - 750GB are the sweetspots right now for about $100.

3. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah....... i understand its an OEM drive, i have an enclosure, i was getting tips on using one drive as an all-in-one back up (2clones and a time machine)

the 400 is a decent price and provides the exact amount of space i need. 500Gb is sort of a waste for what i want to do with this MBP.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you trying to create a Time Machine partition on the same drive as the system partition?

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

looks like he's using part of the proposed external drive to create his time machine area.