Upgrading MBP: clean reinstall or restore from TimeMachine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivid, May 5, 2010.

1. ivid macrumors newbie

getting my new MBP today. big dilemma on whether to install all the apps from scratch (LR, CS4, FCut, etc with a bunch of plugins and libraries) or just do a time-machine restore? My old MBP is a unibody MBP

what do u guys recommend?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I just restore. Don't have time to muck around with the dozens of registrations and updates.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just do Time Machine restore, much easier and I doubt you'd notice any difference anyway

4. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

Agreed

5. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I always reformat the drive and reinstall a bare copy of OSX without any of the add-ons. I prefer to do it this way as I like the feeling of having a fresh and clean install. I restore my files afterwards and reinstall my apps one by one.

6. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I am about to a do a restore from TM also. Should I do it when the OS is booting for the first time? Or boot into the OS completely and use some tool from there?

I'll be using a usb external. Thanks : )

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just do it on first boot so you don't have to hassle with users (I once created a new one, then used Migration assistant and my username and home directory names were the same so I ended up doing a NEW clean install as homo directory can't be changed later on and it was like iausjfhfioer)

8. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Unfortunately, it looks like the only option from the first boot is doing the migration assistant...which is what I am currently doing. Last time I did this it didnt transfer my iphoto, itunes, documents and a bunch of other stuff, it really only transferred my applications.

Hopefully it works properly off of a fresh restore and doing it from the first start up.

9. bestthereis27 macrumors member

I too am curious about this. I am going from a 15" macbook pro Santa Rosa from 2007/2008. Can I just restore from time machine to the new i5 machine? Or should I use migrate assistant?

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just transfer when it asks in the first boot that do you want to transfer any files from another Mac etc...

11. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

You can run migration assistant and migrate from a time machine backup.

12. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I'm sure a clean reinstall is better in the long run but if you want to save time just go with TM. I did a full TM restore when I upgraded my HD and it's fine.

13. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I got my 15 today and I reinstalled the software and got rid of software that I don't use to get rid of space.