Upgrading MBP hard drive. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Empr, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Empr macrumors member

I want to upgrade my hard drive from 320GB 5400 rpm to 320GB 7200 rpm.

Are there any models that you would recommend over the official Mac brand?

Also do you recommend that I attempt to do the installation myself, or pay someone else to do it?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Any 9.5mm 2.5" HD with SATA connector will work equally as well.

The brand however is entirely up to you as asking us will well.. start a little war cause each of us prefer one over the other. Also, you may like to search the forums as there are many thread on this topic...

P.S. Apple don't manufacture any hard-drives, nor do they sell Apple branded units to end users anymore.

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, it is easy, and the WD Scorpio is a good choice
    But OP, you might want to the consider the 500 GB Blue instead
    Even at 5400, it performs well against the Black

Scorpio Blue and Black Review

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

6. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

all good w/ WD Scorpio over here (320gb @5400rpm)

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It was for mine, but it is the older MBP

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. Z06jerry macrumors regular

yup.

x2 for the WD Scorpio Blue. Performance on par with 7200's, power consumption of 5400's. I'm planning to change my Seagate 7200.3 to the WD 500gb Scorpio Blue in the very near future.

10. Empr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies, I will take it all into consideration.

11. orthorim macrumors 6502

It's an iron rule of the Mac: Don't open it without a Torx 6!

Now I thought since the new MBP unibodys have user-replaceable hard drives, I could at least do that without a torx but -noooooooohoooooo. There's one Torx 6 screw. The user manual doesn't mention it, BTW.

12. orthorim macrumors 6502

I don't buy it. Show me a comparison of boot speeds, then I am convinced.

The 500/5400 will come pretty close to the 320/7200 in best-case transfer speed tests, but it will be much slower where it really matters which is small random read/write. Not a mystery it's just that it has faster seek times because it's spinning faster.

Anyway, why compromise, just get the 500GB/7200 drive from Seagate = one to rule them all ;)

Edit: To elaborate, the more capacity a drive has, the more stuff goes by under the read head in one rotation => therefore, higher data transfer rate. However you will see this only when editing or copying large files. For small files, random read rate is much more important because what takes the most time is not reading the data but instead finding the data in the first place. Here, 7200 drives are much faster because of their higher rotational speed.

If you are skeptical about any artificial benchmark tests like me, you can see this in real world when copying a folder with many small files in it. Let's say you have one folder with 100 files and each file is 10MB. That's 1GB of data. Copying that will be as fast as your HD can go, which is something like 50MB/s.
    Now if you have a folder with 100,000 items and each item is 10KB or 0.01MB, it's also 1GB but if you copy it you will see your transfer speed drop to anywhere from 500KB/s to 1MB/s. It's dramatically slower. A 7200 RPM HD will still get 1.5MB or 2MB at least. A SSD will get much more, though I don't have one yet so I don't really know about the real world numbers.

Booting is a good test because it loads 100s of thousands of OS files. Real world it depends on what you are doing but stuff like starting applications is based in small random read speed. RAM also makes a difference because OS X disk caching is excellent and will compensate for the slow hard drive on many occasions.

I know all this because I have iPulse running and whenever I have a longer lasting disk operation going, I watch the average/min/max transfer rate

13. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

after reading consumer reviews and comparison reports, I also have the 500/5400 drive coming tomorrow.

I guess I am just one of those naive people who believe those reports.

14. mike1123 macrumors 6502

This is what I kept thinking whenever I read that the Blue is just as fast as the Black. There is no way a hard drive with half the cache and a lower rotational speed could have just as fast random access times. I was contemplating returning my Black and getting a Blue, but no longer.

15. dlhuss macrumors member

What about even more density based on the number of platters? Do the 320GB 7200rpm Blacks have 2 or 3 platters, 'cause the 500GB 5400rpm has 2 platters = more dense. Any how does that affect your real world scenario?

16. Z06jerry macrumors regular

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/17010/1

"That winner does not come from the Seagate camp, despite the fact that the Momentus 7200.4 boasts a higher spindle speed than the rest of the pack. I was hoping the faster-spinning platters, combined with a larger cache, would translate into better real-world performance. But they don't. The Momentus was often slower than the best 5,400-RPM drives, and while it enjoyed a few moments in the spotlight, those victories were far too rare to justify the drive's significantly higher price."

"That favorite? Western Digital's Scorpio Blue. We subject drives to a varied mix of performance tests because we're looking for weaknesses, and the Scorpio Blue exhibited none. It may not have come out ahead of the pack in each and every test, but over our entire suite, the Scorpio was clearly the performance leader. At just $90 online, the Blue won't cost you more than other drives we've looked at today, either. Picking an Editor's Choice doesn't get any easier than that."