Upgrading MBP keyboard issues... need help plz!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fishy2k8, Jun 22, 2009.

1. fishy2k8 macrumors member

Okay so after denting my mouse on my mbp pro (2.16 core 2 duo mn a1211) and reading that i could just buy a new top case with the keyboard with itunes controls and the better multi touch mouse with pinching and stuff i bought a new top case with keyboard and track pad assembly.. well.. i swapped them out and i got nothing.. no keyboard or mouse... is there anyway to get the newer top case to function with my computer??? please help. thanks.

2. fishy2k8 thread starter macrumors member

bump? could i make it work with some extension files or something? my dad has a mbp with the better multitouch mouse and the itunes keyboard.

3. fishy2k8 thread starter macrumors member

4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, there's probably a way to make it work, assuming the connectors match up properly, and that all the necessary hardware exists in the logic board (the multi-touch Macs include a special multi-touch chip, which is the same one used in the iPhone, iirc).

However, this isn't a commonly completed upgrade. Expect to do a lot of experimentation.

Frankly, the guys at InsanelyMac might be of use. They normally work to get Mac OS X working on PC hardware. As such, they know a lot about how the software mates with hardware.

5. fishy2k8 thread starter macrumors member

i read that as long as i bought and replaced the whole top case that all the chipping for the multitouch was on the case (on the bottom of the trackpad).

anybody know what files i would need to get off of the computer that already has this type of keyboard to see if it will work doing that?

my laptop is a A1211 model and im trying to put a A1260 model keyboard/mouse top case on it. thanks

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Boy, I don't know. I don't think the different keyboards are compatible, I imagine different OS drivers (in this case keyboard drivers) are installed for each MBP revision.

OTOH I found this old thread and someone said it worked (Santa Rosa MBP, Penryn top case and keyboard)-

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=481082

I am surprised that nothing at all works on your computer after putting in the new top case. I would have expected at least for the regular keys to function.

7. fishy2k8 thread starter macrumors member

yeah the only thing that worked was the power button... i take it the santa rosa thing may have something to do with it?

8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Probably, there must have been hardware changes that necessitated new drivers.

You might still get it to work, if you figure out to make the necessary software changes. But then you will never know if system updates might mess it up, or you need to re-install the OS or perhaps later upgrade to Snow Leopard. The computer is always going to install the drivers for the older keyboard that it assumes is in there.

9. fishy2k8 thread starter macrumors member

yeah this is true... dang, i guess i should see if i can exchange it for what my computer came with cause the reason i bought it was i dented my trackpad so i figured id to an upgraded at the same time... boooo