Upgrading MBP or buying a rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBS28, Dec 28, 2012.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

I'm exceeding the 4gb RAM alot of times. So i'm thinking of either upgrading my 2010 15" MBP to a 8 gb and 512 gb SSD (Samsung 840) or going for a 15" rMBP.

What would seems to be the best? Upgrading the 2010 15" to a 8 gb ram and 512 gb SSD is very cheap ( under 400 euro in total ) while the 15" rMBP with 512 GB SSD would cost near 3000 euro.

2. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Can't tell what the "best" option for you would be, but the cheapest option would surely be to just buy some ram and upgrade your current machine. If you say memory is the only thing your machine is lacking, then there's really no real reason to spend money on a brand new one.

If money is not a problem, then I'm not sure what the point of the thread is... If you like the Retina models and feel like getting one, then who are we to stop you?

3. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Depends on whether you can afford the rMBP or not, and whether your MBP is still coping with what your doing on it.

If money is tight then makes much more sense to upgrade as you'll notice a big difference in speed with a SSD compared to a HDD.

What do you use your Mac for? If it's general web usage and office work your current MBP is fine. If you're doing a lot of video editing then the quad core in the rMBP will be benefit, or if you do a lot of photo editing the rMBP screen will make it worthwhile.

4. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The CPU of the 2010 15" MBP is fast enough for my needs. However the GPU of the rMBP 15" isn't fast enough for the most GPU demanding stuff (could be drivers issues with 650m + OSX).

So I can get away with just upgrading the 15" 2010 MBP for now and buy a new MBP when the GPU is strong enough or when the CPU is the limiting factor.

5. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

In that case go for the upgrade.