upgrading MDD g4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ghett0tech, Jun 1, 2012.

1. ghett0tech macrumors member

i'm currently using my MDD g4 as my main machine.
    specs:
    dual 1.25
    1.5 GB RAM
    200GB HDD

what would be the most efficient upgrade. i'm running 10.5, use MacTubes for YouTube. would upgrading to max RAM and upgraded video card be a sufficient boost? for the specs as is it gets the job of daily tasks, but i need a little more outta it.

any help would be appreciated guy

2. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I'd recommend maxing your ram to 2GB. Second, I'd purchase a small SATA solid state drive and use an IDE adapter. Then use your current 200GB to store your big files (music, movies, pictures, etc.) This is exactly what I did to mine.

32GB SSD $47US--->link
    Adapter $18US--->link

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Although I owned a QS tower until 12/11, and am of the nostalgic type naturally, I have moved on to a MBP, and will most likely get a new pro tower IF they ever update them ;)

I say you should put your money into a new(er) machine. Not only will you gain the usability and performance of being reasonably up to date, but alot of the software and peripherals you may use with this next machine will also be able to be used should get a BRAND new machine at some point in the near future too.....

4. Zeke D, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I think if he were unable to get his Mdd to do something or run certain software, then replacement would be viable. But if he just wants some pep,then the saId route with a ram upgrade is a solution for about $100. Compare that to shelling out $300 - $400 for an intel Mac mini.

I use my eMac for everything but playing runescape. Should continue to meet his needs or quite awhile.

5. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Agreed.

The ram and hard drive costs are nominal and still allow to squirrel extra pocket change away for a newer or new mac.
    That is exactly what I did. When I got my DA/533 Dual about 5 years ago, I maxed the ram and found the fastest and yet cheapest hard drive I could find. ( I should have never sold that mac! Loved the hell out of it.) Same with my single 1.8 G5 then the dual 2.5.
    Each one filled the bill even more than the last, and to be honest? I could have stayed with my Dual 2.5 for at least 5 more years-ish even running 10.5. But I had finally saved enough for my first ever new mac. (See my sig). I have now had the mini since July of last year and I love it. No regrets.
    The only ironic thing is that I find myself on my G4 PB more than anything else. So it was an upgrade with a down grade into a scheme that works for me...:confused: