upgrading memory of mid 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cali shot doc, Nov 14, 2011.

1. cali shot doc macrumors member

Went to apple to see why my computer is so laggy now. They couldn't find a reason yet agreed something was up. The "genius" said best thing to do was to go to fry's to upgrade the ram and see if that makes a difference, if not then i can return it without any hassle.

I don't know much about ram so the guy said their kingston (which i've heard of) was the best however they were out so they recommended "Samsung Green DDR3 for notebook'' Its 8gb PC3 (2x4gb) dual channel kit. 1333Mbps PC3-10600 and compatible with 1066 PC3-8500

Here's the link

http://www.frys.com/product/6798375?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Installed it and when I try to turn it on it beeps one time. I've tried multiple times and get the same result....one beep. I'm starting to think that it isn't compatible with my machine but i'm not very sure. So the original ram is in and now i'm asking for help lol. If anyone can take a look and help me out i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Pat

2. jasonki32 macrumors newbie

Wrong type of memory for MBP. You need 1066 DDR3 and that should resolve your problem. I know the memory says that it is compatible with 1066, but not all memory works with Macs.

3. denisvj macrumors regular

denisvj

I have the same macbook pro 2010 as you and upgraded to 8 GB .

The memory is 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 but your memory is 1333 Mhz , I think maybe that is the problem.

4. cali shot doc thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys. i had a feeling that was whats up i think i might just go to amazon and pick up some crucial memory that specifically says works with macs lol since i get 2 day shipping for being a student