Upgrading memory on MacBook Mid-2009 Unit

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacRobert10, Jan 12, 2013.

1. MacRobert10 macrumors 6502

Mountain Lion is a memory PIG! Period!

I have a MacBook mid-2009 unit with Mountain Lion installed. Under moderate use it does OK, but if I start bringing up more memory intensive applications like Safari, iPhoto, etc, simultaneously, Activity Monitor indicates I'm basically running out of memory (Page outs increase radically).

The unit only has 2GB on it (only...really ONLY 2GB?? That's a lot of memory). In any case, I think the solution is clear: MORE MEMORY.

I found it interesting that MacTracker indicates that this unit can handle 6GB of memory, but there's no such thing as a 3GB memory stick to the best of my knowledge, which leads me to believe they're talking about installing a 4GB module in one memory slot, and a 2GB module in the other.

I really don't think I necessarily need 4GB of memory, and would like to try out a 1GB and a 2GB combo, yielding obviously 3GB of memory. A lot of documentation states that the memory modules sizes need to be matched (in other words, you should use only 2 identical memory modules, like 2 2GB modules)

I really don't like wasting money on what isn't needed. I'm not the type of person that leaves a billion applications running at the same time even when they're not in use. If I'm done using an application, I shut it down completely.

My question is simple: If I go out and buy a single SODIMM module of 2GB and use it to replace one of the 1GB SODIMM's in my system, will this REALLY create any problems?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

2 GB might seem a lot to you, but with your stated activity, 2 GB seems to be too little.
    OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is also known to be not that 2 GB RAM friendly and it is advised to have at least 4 GB with that Mac OS X version.

And do you have an early 2009 white non unibody MacBook, a mid 2009 unibody MacBook Pro or a late 2009 white unibody MacBook?

To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
    [​IMG]
    To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
    [​IMG]
    To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
    To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

As for having RAM in pairs, it is recommended, but the speed gain of having 2+4 GB sticks instead of 4+4 GB sticks is minimal and not noticeable for your stated tasks.