upgrading memory question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AdamL, Jul 25, 2007.

1. AdamL macrumors member

I'm looking into buying memory for my Mac Book Pro. I was looking on newegg for some and I noticed there's laptop memory and then mac memory. Is there really a difference between the two? Thanks.

2. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

I'd recommend going to Crucial.com to buy memory. It's relatively cheap, and you can choose exactly the right memory stick(s)/kit you need for whatever Mac or PC you have. Works well for me.

3. L3X macrumors 6502a

I prefer OWC (other world computing) - it's cheaper than Crucial and you can still select your notebook pretty easily

4. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

to answer your question, not really. Just make sure you're buying ram from a reputable source... and that the specs match exactly what apple's standards are.

5. profBIll macrumors newbie

Just checking, but in buying memory for the macbook pro (mine's the new one, 2.4GHz SR), it should be:

• pc2-5300 or pc2-5400. As far as I can tell it doesn't seem to matter
    • a ddr2 667 so-dimm 200 pin module
    • no ECC, Cas Latency (CL) is 5
    • I'm guessing it should not have a heat shield as that would make fit a problem

Anything else I should know? Prices vary, but at newegg for a 2Gb that module is running a little over $100. Depends on the vendor. OCZ is $122, Patriot $116, Corsair $130.

Also, anyone want to opine how much difference 2Gb vs 4Gb makes for Parallels running Vista? I tuned Vista to not run Superfetch, Search or Index which makes it just usable, but has anyone actually experienced the difference between 2Gb and 4Gb? Just curious. Thanks.

--bill