Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
Hi guys,

I'm still rocking my black 2006 baby, but needless to say it has aged a bit. I ordered a new iMac to get back on track, but I still want to keep this beautiful macbook for mobile purposes, as it has been so reliable.

So I'm wondering what I can do to speed things up a bit. The only upgrade it has had so far is 2GB of RAM, so that's maxed out.

Next up is HDD, which I'd like to replace with an SSD. Any good ones for this type of macbook out there? I'm not looking for a huge capacity, something around 100 gig maybe?

And what about cpu, gpu? Probably not much I can change about that, but if so, please tell!

Or anything else that could keep the beach ball away more often, is very welcome!

Thanks

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The only two things that can be upgraded are the RAM and hard drive. Basically any hard drive on the market as of now will be limited by that machine's SATA I bus speeds. But there will still be a very big difference.

squan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
Ok, thanks!

Any good SSD's out there that would suit my needs? Not much experience with drives...

128 GB should be fine!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Look into the Samsung 830, 840, or the 840 Pro. All of them have really good reviews and would work very well in your Macbook.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Why don't you sell it for a few hundred bucks and use it towards a refurb MBP. Any SSD you put it in is only going to do so much and it's limited in its power because of the dated SATA interface.

Your computer is limited to using 3GB out of 4GB so it's pointless to upgrade that.

squan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
Maybe in good time, for now the cash just isn't there.

But now I'm thinking of buying an SSD that would fit a refurbished macbook too, so I can transfer my upgrades that I buy now when the day comes.

Thanks for the help!

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Nothing wrong with holding onto that MB. I have a 2008 black MB and a 2010 MB that I will keep using until they either break or I have money to buy a used MBP.

I think the days are long gone where I can afford to pay $1,000+ for a new or even refurbished MBP.

squan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
You gotta hand it to Apple, they do make solid stuff. It's going into it's seventh year, and hell... I can still produce HD-video with this thing, even if HD wasn't around the year I bought it. :)

Thanks for the help everyone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.