Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aeryn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
I was hoping to get another couple years out of my mid-2015 but taking it in for a speaker replacement revealed liquid damage (that I seriously have no recollection of, I know everyone says that but I really mean it). Other than the speaker issues, I haven't noticed any problems, knock on wood.

Should I take advantage of the BF sale now? (the $250 GC is already spoken for in the form of a new power cable and the necessary dongles/adapters required to move from 2015 to 2021 models) Or should I try to baby this one for a few (or 6) months and get the latest and greatest at that time?

Admittedly I haven't been as engaged with the Apple keynotes, developments, and rumors as I have in the past…is the M2 expected to be worth the wait or is an M1 now going to going to be more than enough (apparent battery issues notwithstanding) for someone with no plans to edit multi-stream 4K video or render 3D models? My first MBP lasted 8 years, the current one 6, ideally the next one will last at least 6. I do occasional moderate heavy lifting — image editing in Photoshop, and some video ripping/transcoding — with day-to-day use being browsing, streaming, and native apps.

I do have a MBP (also mid-2015) through work so if my personal one were to die, the delay to order a new one would be inconvenient but not a complete crisis. I have a recent clone + regular backups that could get me by with the light day-to-day usage.

edit: Or…get a refurb M1 Max with the same memory and SSD configuration for nearly the same as the post-GC price of the M1 Pro.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 15 that's my backup and I replaced the battery two years ago so it's running well. I bought a 2021 M1 Pro MacBook Pro 16 32/1 a year ago and it's a monster of a machine and it is so much more than the 2015 that it's hard to describe. The M1 MacBook Air runs rings around the 2015 MacBook Pro except for ports and number of external monitors supported. The M1 Max MacBook Pro gives you a cool laptop, one with super battery life, a huge uplift in CPU and GPU performance. You could probably pick up a used 2015 for a few hundred if you really wanted that but Apple Silicon is so much better, especially in the Pro models.

I do 4k video editing on the M1 Pro MacBook Pro and can't hear the fans when it is running.

One thing is that you'll be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the USB-C ecosystem. It's something that I resisted for as long as possible.

Reactions: Aeryn

vcboard

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2016
Just upgraded my 2015 MBP 15 to 2021 MBP 14. If you can wait, maybe just wait and see the next few months announcement. I jumped on the upgrade because I posted the 2015 on sale for fun and it managed to fetch quite a good price so I sold it off, plus I got the 2021 at a very reasonable price off MSRP.

Reactions: TyShawn and Aeryn

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
One thing is that you'll be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the USB-C ecosystem. It's something that I resisted for as long as possible.
I'm going through this same dilemma. I was hoping that since they brought back the SD slot that maybe they would bring back one USB-A port. But my battery is swelling again (replaced 4 times under warranty and 1 outside for $400) and I'm running out of hard drive space. Not sure whether to just stop being ignorant and upgrade or cling onto false hope of Apple making a laptop for me.

Aeryn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009

Yes, there will be much kicking and screaming, I'm also running an older OS so it's upgrading every piece of critical software and upgrading or dongling every peripheral. Not gonna lie, for a hot minute I wondered if going back to Windows would be easier.

That said, I'm not so tied to the 2015 that I'd pick up a used one. I get what you're saying about the jump from 2015 to 2021…I'm going from a Toyota Camry and asking if I should buy a Ferrari today or wait for the 2023 model. When you put it that way it makes sense just to pull the trigger now.

Just upgraded my 2015 MBP 15 to 2021 MBP 14. If you can wait, maybe just wait and see the next few months announcement.

Lol, now I have one vote other either side. And when *you* put it *that* way…yeah, I can probably wait. (knocking on all the wood) The current speaker issue is the only thing that's really "broken" and it's not mission critical, just annoying. It's been a problem for a while and I put off the repair until it was really annoying so I'm not necessarily approaching this decisions 100% objectively.

Well, the sale goes for another day so I guess I'll sleep on it so more.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Yes, there will be much kicking and screaming, I'm also running an older OS so it's upgrading every piece of critical software and upgrading or dongling every peripheral. Not gonna lie, for a hot minute I wondered if going back to Windows would be easier.

That said, I'm not so tied to the 2015 that I'd pick up a used one. I get what you're saying about the jump from 2015 to 2021…I'm going from a Toyota Camry and asking if I should buy a Ferrari today or wait for the 2023 model. When you put it that way it makes sense just to pull the trigger now.

I did it a year ago and so I have a mix of USB-A and USB-C stuff because that's the state of computing electronics right now. It is nice that there are USB-C flash drives now and there's more that's available but there are a lot of devices that still ship with Micro-USB or USB-A cables. I don't think that Apple is going back on laptops. And they are moving to USB-C on their mobile devices and accessories. One thing that would really help is something like a 5-port USB-C charger - these are easily available for USB-A but harder to find or much more expensive with USB-C.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Do you need more performance? The new MBP will be faster and, most likely, otherwise the same. It will also be more expensive compared to the discounted M1 models and the base M2 Pro will be faster than an M1 Max in terms of GPU, but not much.

So, if the 2015 Mac is still good enough for you, I can assume everything the M1 Pro/Max will bring will be a total overkill, and if you need/want a computer now, no reason to wait. Likewise, if you don’t need/want a computer now, might as well wait a few months.

USB-C is not an issue. The adapters and cables are really cheap at this point and the port is better than USB-A in every way. Also, macOS has been improving at a steady pace, so once you transition to the new one, it will be a better experience.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
If you can get a good deal on one, just do it now if you need it. The current MBP is a fantastic machine and it's expected that the next model will just be a spec bump. @Basic75 sums it up well 👆🏻

Reactions: Aeryn and Basic75

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you can find a deal for an M1, that will be hard to pass up, especially if you factor what everyone expects with the M2 - a price increase.

Ultimately, you'll be better off waiting, because that's what everyone says, but if my 2015 Mac was starting to act wonky, I'd consider taking advantage of the BF sales - they usually last until today so you still have some time

Seiko4169

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
England
Just picked up a 16" M1 Max. Had the same dilemma BUT eventually (and easily) convinced myself.

1) M2 won't be such a generational leap so M1 Max works for my work load, software engineering including game design.

2) I suspect new version will likely address..
  1. HDMI2.1
  2. faster SDHC card reader
  3. Might (but unlikely) re-introduce the option of Touch Bar at a higher cost
  4. Might (but unlikely) tidy the screen notch a little with an Island concept
The above all would make it a 'better' machine BUT prices might go up and realistically I don't need to wait for those.

I have zero regrets and think the M series are superb, amazing battery and performance.

Aeryn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
I did it a year ago and so I have a mix of USB-A and USB-C stuff because that's the state of computing electronics right now.
Yeah, it's more the shock of realizing just how many USB-A devices I actually have and the tidiness compulsion to upgrade/replace everything than have dongles and docks everywhere. (Yes, I concede the irrationality in that! lol)

So, if the 2015 Mac is still good enough for you, I can assume everything the M1 Pro/Max will bring will be a total overkill, and if you need/want a computer now, no reason to wait. Likewise, if you don’t need/want a computer now, might as well wait a few months.
And that's exactly it, if I could have replaced the speakers for $150 I could see myself keeping the 2015 for another couple years (at least that was the hope). There are a few rare tasks that test the limits of this machine but it's infrequent enough that I can multitask between online and offline tasks without much annoyance. On the flip side, I feel like I'm using "but the speakers are bad" as a poor justification to buy a new device.

Might (but unlikely) re-introduce the option of Touch Bar at a higher cost
Eww, that's reason enough right there to pull the trigger today. ;-)

Thanks for the input, everyone! I think I'm going to pull the trigger and order today to get the BF deal. In all likelihood, unless the new M2 included an automatic laundry folder or adds extra hours to the day, I'd probably use that release to take advantage of a price drop on the M1. So the most realistic scenario is an M1 today or an M1 later.

Maybe I just need to upgrade more often so I can work on this analysis paralysis issue. LOL

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Yeah, it's more the shock of realizing just how many USB-A devices I actually have and the tidiness compulsion to upgrade/replace everything than have dongles and docks everywhere. (Yes, I concede the irrationality in that! lol)

I have a USB-C to 4xUSB-A dongle that I carry when I need a bunch of USB-A ports for mouse, keyboard, flash drive and watch charger. I also have USB-C (male) to USB-A (female) adapters that are very small and almost feel like part of the cable. I have 5 or 6 port Anker USB-A chargers and it's nice to be able to charge off a charger instead of off the laptop as I worry a bit about how sturdy the USB-C ports are. I have heard that they could loosen up with a lot of use on the earlier USB-C models.

I have a 2-port USB-C charger and that's good in a pinch but 5-ports would be better so I could do Beats Fit Pro, laptops, phones, tablets. It would have been really nice if Apple added a couple of USB-C or USB-A charging ports in the Magsafe charger.

The one thing to be careful about with the small dongles is losing them. I have not lost any so far but I always store them in the same place when done with them and that helps a lot.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Don't know where in the world you are.

If it's in the USA, right now you can get a $400 discount on the MBP 14/16" models (in selected configurations, from certain authorized dealers).

That's a discount one rarely sees on higher-end Mac products.

So...
Either buy the current version and save money
or...
Hold out for the M2pro version -- but you're going to pay full price.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
This is how I felt. The only USB devices I use are my old HDD for Time Machine and my iPhone + Ethernet. However, between the swollen battery for the umpteenth time and running out of disk space I went ahead and get a refurbished 16" M1 Pro while it was $300 off. I figured I can just get a standalone dock and a dongle if i need to connect on the road, but it just doesn't make sense to me to put more money into this old laptop.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
This is how I felt. The only USB devices I use are my old HDD for Time Machine and my iPhone + Ethernet. However, between the swollen battery for the umpteenth time and running out of disk space I went ahead and get a refurbished 16" M1 Pro while it was $300 off. I figured I can just get a standalone dock and a dongle if i need to connect on the road, but it just doesn't make sense to me to put more money into this old laptop.

I use these (Ugreen sells them cheaper these days) and they are quite handy as they are so small for plugging USB-A stuff into USB-C devices. What I do these days is carry a 5-port USB-A 60-watt charger for mobile devices as most of my cables are USB-A. I was trying to decide on going with a USB-C charger or USB-A for charging and USB-A makes more sense given my cable situation but sometimes I just take my laptop and it's nice to be able to charge or connect. Particularly if I'm using a mouse.

Reactions: Krafty

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I use these (Ugreen sells them cheaper these days) and they are quite handy as they are so small for plugging USB-A stuff into USB-C devices. What I do these days is carry a 5-port USB-A 60-watt charger for mobile devices as most of my cables are USB-A. I was trying to decide on going with a USB-C charger or USB-A for charging and USB-A makes more sense given my cable situation but sometimes I just take my laptop and it's nice to be able to charge or connect. Particularly if I'm using a mouse.

This is perfect! Thank you!

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009

And that's exactly it, if I could have replaced the speakers for $150 I could see myself keeping the 2015 for another couple years (at least that was the hope). There are a few rare tasks that test the limits of this machine but it's infrequent enough that I can multitask between online and offline tasks without much annoyance. On the flip side, I feel like I'm using "but the speakers are bad" as a poor justification to buy a new device.

Eww, that's reason enough right there to pull the trigger today. ;-)

Thanks for the input, everyone! I think I'm going to pull the trigger and order today to get the BF deal. In all likelihood, unless the new M2 included an automatic laundry folder or adds extra hours to the day, I'd probably use that release to take advantage of a price drop on the M1. So the most realistic scenario is an M1 today or an M1 later.

Maybe I just need to upgrade more often so I can work on this analysis paralysis issue. LOL
Did you get in the end and are you happy with it? I just dropped my 2015 in the car park and it works but it’s all dented and banged up and that is making me use my man maths to sell the idea to my wife ha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.