Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Has anyone ever done their own Mac Mini superdrive upgrade before? What's the model of the drive used by Apple?

Really tempted by the new lower Mini model, but not having a superdrive upgrade option is quite a bummer.. and getting a refurbished 1.66Ghz machine is actually not worth it :(

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Why is the refurbished machine not worth it? They're the same minus superdrive. I think it would be easier to pay the extra $50 and save the hassle of buying and installing a new optical drive yourself.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Yeah, I'd have to agree. By the time you've bought a Superdrive, fitted it yourself, voided your warrenty and have 2 screws left after putting it back together its worth saving up a bit more and get the higher end model, or get a refurbed 1.66 model.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I have a refub 1.66 with Superdrive. Had it for several months, now. Zero problems. Apple's refurbs are typically a better buy than new, if you can get a decent configuration.

mterlouw

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2006
There are some posts over at 123macmini forums about it. Apparently the Pioneer DVR-K06 is a drop-in upgrade to the Apple superdrive, and is available from Newegg for about USD$75. I think Apple ships the DVR-K05, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know how much the old BTO option for the superdrive was?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.