Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
Like everyone else, we got caught up in the cluster that was iPhone preordering and were not able to order phones to be shipped. In desperation, we made reservations at the nearest Apple Store (70 miles away) to pick up phones on Thursday. Unfortunately, I have to work that day and won't be able to go. From information we got on preorder day, it sounded like we shouldn't reserve anything in my name if I can't go, so we reserved one phone on my husband's AppleID. We want to upgrade two lines on our family plan, though, and we got through to someone at the store who said just one of us would be able to get the two phones as long as that person is authorized on the account to upgrade both lines. However, you could only reserve one phone per AppleID, so my husband set up a second AppleID, also in his name, and reserved the second phone that way.

Does that make sense? From those who have dealt with this before, should my husband be able to upgrade both lines with the reserved phones? I don't think we're really trying to game the system - we have two lines, and my husband is the primary account holder. The whole thing has been such a mess, though, that I just don't trust it. It was far easier having my 3GS shipped last year!

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
I am in the same situation, but I was not able to reserve more than 1. For some reason, when we reserved 2, only 1 shows up. I talked to Apple and they said I can get 2 even though 1 was reserved if I show up early enough and there is one available from walk in stock. Worst case I will have to wait for another phone.

To directly answer your question, they will let you get 2 phones if you are on a family plan and 1 person shows up and they are the account holder or authorized user.

sampdoria

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
I had to do the same. Upgrading 2 lines within a family plan. Each reserve was under a unique apple id. Apple store sales rep acknowledged that was the right way to do more than one upgrade within a family plan. Only the primary or authorized account holder needs to show up to get both. But be sure to bring the email confirmation for each one with you. You should be fine.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
Thanks for the info, guys. Sounds like we're on the right track. I'll just be glad when I have it in my hands at last!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.