Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carrollf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Ireland
Just bought a new 13" MBP last week and want to replace the 250GB drive with the 1TB Toshiba MK1059GSM 1TB 2.5" Hard Drive SATAII 5400rpm 8MB Cache (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/219417). I have seen many posts claiming how easy this is but I have 2 questions:

1) Is my warranty void if I do this?
2) Are there any things that I have to be careful of while doing this? Could I easily break something?

Thanks

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
1) No. As long as you don't break anything else in the process.
2) When you lift the stock drive out, lift it out slowly... the sata cable is attached and isn't exactly fragile, but you want to be careful nonetheless.

Make sure you have the right screwdrivers... you'll need a phillips and a torx drive to remove the harddrive retention screws (and to screw them into the new drive). Can't quote the size off the top of my head, but they are really small... google some hard drive replacement guides and you should find out the sizes pretty quickly.

All told, even being super careful, it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to remove the bottom cover, remove the hard drive, replace the hard drive and re-place the bottom cover. It may seem scary at first, but it's actually quite easy as long as you're reasonably careful and diligent.

oilfighter

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
You can start by reading the small manual that came with your MBP. It has directions on how to replace the HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.