Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
I put a 1TB Samsung 850 Evo SSD in my 2012 MacBook Pro several years ago. No problems at all so far.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If you like Kingston, that's fine (I think they're a good company). But in looking at the Amazon UK site, I see that both the Samsung 860 Evo and the Crucial MX500 are priced below the Kingston for a 240/250GB SSD. The Kingston has a 3-year warranty, the Crucial has a 5-year warranty. The Samsung warranty isn't listed on the Amazon page but here in the US, it's 5 years. The Kingston and Crucial have rated endurance of 100TBW (terabytes written), the Samsung is 150TBW. For most people, even a 100 TBW SSD placed in a 2012 MBP will last far longer than the computer. I haven't looked at the Kingston performance specs, but I'm pretty sure it will be slower than either the Samsung or the Crucial and if it is faster, you won't be able to notice the difference in speed (not a knock on Kingston, but with both the Samsung and Crucial, they're both pressing the limits of what can be done with the SATA3 technology).

You should change the HDD cable when you change the SSD - the cable has been known to be problematical and it's not uncommon for the cable to work fine with the HDD only to have problems with a SSD.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Fantastic idea OP!

It completely changes the MacBook Pro...I put in a 500GB SSD (and 16GB of RAM) in my mid-2012 Pro last summer and its like a whole new computer

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

I'd suggest another brand instead of Kingston.
Perhaps Crucial or Sandisk or Samsung.

Go to ifixt.com to see the procedure -- it's easy, but YOU NEED THE RIGHT TOOLS:
- Phillips #00 driver
- TORX T-6 driver

I'd suggest you also buy one of these (or something similar):
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-...478&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=sabremt+usb3+to+ssd

You can use this adapter to connect the SSD externally via USB3.
Then, you can "prepare and test" it BEFORE you open up the MBP to install it.

The reason for doing this, is that if something doesn't go as planned, YOU STILL HAVE A WORKING MACBOOK and can get on the problem.

Once you have the SSD all prepped, THEN open the MBP and "do the drive swap".
Then, use the USB3/SATA adapter to connect the old drive for backups, extra storage, or whatever you might use it for.

Reactions: kohlson and MSastre

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
I've used Crucial SSDs in my 2009 MBP, Mac Pro 5,1, my wife's older Macbook, and as a backup drive for her MBA and my 2013 rMBP. Highly recommend them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.